The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my own herd but trying to help a neighbor with rehabbing older goat that she has rescued. He’s in rough shape. Hooves are Horrible!! Never been trimmed. So I have done a gentle trim and cleaning but I’m worried about one hoof in particular. Barley trimmed overlap and there was a hole down to meat on sidewall. He is lame on one leg already. Treated all with hoof and heel after and sprayed Topical Fungicide on top of hoof around “ankle” area due to patchy area. Definitely anemic from lice and selenium deficient...she has been giving red cell and I gave him selenium dose and probiotics along with 1st lice treatment. Don’t want to do too much at once. Feel like I should do more?? Debated on giving injection of penicillin G but he has no muscle mass and I didn’t feel comfortable and was also afraid that might be too much for now. I suggested trying to put weight on him and see how he is in several days before doing anything else. Any suggestions would be great! Never rehabbed one in this bad of shape!! Also his jaw has been broke but healed...poor guy he is eating but a little messy LOL.
Working animal Rectangle Wood Terrestrial animal Livestock

·
Administrator
84,842 Posts
Poor guy, he looks rough, bless your friend and you die trying to help him.

Get a fecal sample and have it tested for worms and cocci right away.

Cut out any pockets of his hoof wall and cut away any rotten areas as much as possible, it is best to get all the rotten off there as possible.

Get a tooth brush and scrub all the areas and crannies, dip the hoof in iodine/ water solution daily.

I would treat fir lice and mites.
It may be mites around the ankle area. You can use Nustock on that area.
Remove scabs before applying every 3 days.

No need for antibiotics unless he has a fever, what is his temp?

If you do have to give antibiotics if he is running a fever, giving PenG is SQ, tent the skin. Also draw back the syringe to check for blood before injection.

Jaw has been broken? Oh dear, he may not be able to chew his food or cud. That isn’t good.

Are you sure it isn’t slack jaw and drooling.

He will need better feed to help him gain weight, but needs all parasites treated first.

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
5,925 Posts
Since you drenched him with red cell I would continue for 5 days. I would add a Tbs of dyne in the drench & probios powder. Shake it up to mix it. Mine improve their overall looks with this mixture
I give it after the dewormings. He looks as though he could use some extra nutrition.

·
Super Moderator
31,791 Posts
Awe.poor little man..but look at that sweet face.
All good advice, fecal, hoof care and nutrition. I would give daily probiotics and b complex as a support and I love adding fresh raw garlic to improve immune system. If he won't eat a few cloves a day you can make a paste with fresh garlic and olive oil and feed him a teaspoon a few times a day. For stubborn goats I mix that dose with enough water to drench.

Best wishes

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Poor guy, he looks rough, bless your friend and you die trying to help him.

Get a fecal sample and have it tested for worms and cocci right away.

Cut out any pockets of his hoof wall and cut away any rotten areas as much as possible, it is best to get all the rotten off there as possible.

Get a tooth brush and scrub all the areas and crannies, dip the hoof in iodine/ water solution daily.

I would treat fir lice and mites.
It may be mites around the ankle area. You can use Nustock on that area.
Remove scabs before applying every 3 days.

No need for antibiotics unless he has a fever, what is his temp?

If you do have to give antibiotics if he is running a fever, giving PenG is SQ, tent the skin. Also draw back the syringe to check for blood before injection.

Jaw has been broken? Oh dear, he may not be able to chew his food or cud. That isn’t good.

Are you sure it isn’t slack jaw and drooling.

He will need better feed to help him gain weight, but needs all parasites treated first.

She is getting fecal sample tested and no fever.
I did remove all of rotten areas as much as I could but the one hole on inside of wall when I removed the rotten that was open to the bloody meat!! Never had this problem should I wrap it after iodine bath?? Other hooves didn’t have that issue and were cleaned out good and drenched. Now keep in mind I had to take all my supplies and go mobile lol because she wasn’t sure if she would be able to catch him and there’s no way I’m taking him home around my herd.

Yes jaw was broken…She has been trying to get these goats for over a year from a neighboring cattle farmer down the road who was not tending to them ever… they are wild lol… But also in very sad shape so she got permission from the farmer to catch all the goats but it is taking time meanwhile they have bred, had babies and the babies are getting eaten by coyotes. She got two kids out last year rehabbed and all new homes. This guy is in the worst shape of the herd. The cattle farmer put a bull out there to separate him from the cows and we think that’s when his jaw was broken because last year it was not broken.

The treatment I use for the lice also treats mites and he has been given wormer.

What feed would you suggest? I was thinking feed for meat goats maybe that would help bulk him up?

Thank you for advice seems like got most covered just want him to get nutrition up and hooves are worrying me, especially the bad one.

NuStock you said for mites...is that a cream? Never used but never had need for it.

·
Super Moderator
31,791 Posts
I agree..Definitely be proactive and give tetanus antitoxin. Maybe use a needless syringe to flush the hole in his hoof with diluted iodine. Just dilute with saline to a weak tea color.
Nustock is a sulfur cream. Its great stuff..great for mites and sores.
Be sure to add new foods slowly. I would start with quality hay and some alfalfa...introduce grain in small amounts over a week or two until he gets a full portion. Goats gain alot slower than they loose weight.
Sounds like you guys are on top of his care!!! Good job!! What a chore catching wild goats un a open pasture!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree..Definitely be proactive and give tetanus antitoxin. Maybe use a needless syringe to flush the hole in his hoof with diluted iodine. Just dilute with saline to a weak tea color.
Nustock is a sulfur cream. Its great stuff..great for mites and sores.
Be sure to add new foods slowly. I would start with quality hay and some alfalfa...introduce grain in small amounts over a week or two until he gets a full portion. Goats gain alot slower than they loose weight.
Sounds like you guys are on top of his care!!! Good job!! What a chore catching wild goats un a open pasture!!
Thank you and Yes!! My neighbor did the running and catching she’s several years younger than me

I didn’t want to give alfalfa because it’s a buck and not sure if that would be a good idea because his testicles look like they have a small tumor at base area, in males I know it can cause urinary issues etc...? We noticed late yesterday evening and forgot to mention

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you're getting bloody areas in the hooves, you might give a tetanus antioxin.
I'm glad you're trying to help him!
Thank you!! The tetanus antioxin can that be purchased at Tractor Supply. Never had use of that either!! Been in Goat raising for 5 1/2 years and kept healthy herd but I’m always learning!!

·
Super Moderator
31,791 Posts
Uc is commonly caused by the imbalance of calcium : phosphorus ratio. A little alfalfa is safe and adds easy to digest nutrients.
Can you post a pic of the "tumor" thing?
Yes..tsc should carry the tetanus antitoxin. Make sure it says antitoxin. It's a small 5 cc vile.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Thank you!! The tetanus antioxin can that be purchased at Tractor Supply. Never had use of that either!! Been in Goat raising for 5 1/2 years and kept healthy herd but I’m always learning!!
Yeah, check TSC, or your local feed/farm supply store. The antioxin works quickly, but only provides protection for a couple of weeks. The tetanus toxoid, which is what's in the CDT vaccines a lot of people give annually, provides longer lasting protection, but it takes a while to 'get to work', so to speak. So antioxin is probably best for this situation, where you have an open wound that's of immediate concern.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Uc is commonly caused by the imbalance of calcium : phosphorus ratio. A little alfalfa is safe and adds easy to digest nutrients.
Can you post a pic of the "tumor" thing?
Yes..tsc should carry the tetanus antitoxin. Make sure it says antitoxin. It's a small 5 cc vile.
Sorry just now been able to get back!! This is him...my neighbor this morning said when she was out there that she notice he was dribbling during urinating and she swore it looked like tiny worm came out (not his penis) and went back in that’s new to me.
Dog breed Plant Grass Fawn Tree

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
So, is he urinating a full stream, or only dribbling? If he's dribbling, he may have UC.
Here is a thread on UC that may be helpful to you
Do you have ammonium chloride available?

·
Super Moderator
31,791 Posts
Dribbling urine is worrisome. We want to see a stong steady stream.. cpuld be you saw when he was nearly done peeing. Watch him closely as e to try and catch him peeing to see for sure. Ammonium Chloride wouldn't hurt.

On the growth. I think I would shave that are well and look for any spot of cause. It could be a sicker abscess. Feel I hard or squishy, hot or normal temp as rest of the sack. Get a real good look at it.

·
Administrator
84,842 Posts
I have to be honest here.
In my opinion, he needs a vet to look at him, test the lump for cancer, check for urinary stones, X-ray his jaw, etc.

With these issues, it could be why he cannot gain weight.
If he has cancer cells, it can cause weight loss.

Some diseases can also cause it.

Having a broken jaw, if it isn’t aligned properly, he cannot grind, chew his food and cannot bring up regurgitated cud properly, so he cannot absorb nutrients.
He is in critical condition, all in which is working against him unfortunately. :(

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So, is he urinating a full stream, or only dribbling? If he's dribbling, he may have UC.
Here is a thread on UC that may be helpful to you
Do you have ammonium chloride available?
He was dribbling then later had a little bit more of a stream but it wasn’t very strong. I’m thinking he does have uc also. I do not...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts