The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am adopting 2 new does. A lady found them wandering in her back yard. From what the lady described them as, one sounds like a Alpine/Nubian cross and I'm not sure about the other one. I'm going to meet them on Sunday morning! I can't wait to see them. :wahoo:

·
1,468 Posts
Good on you, Tayet, for taking in needy strays :)!
Do you know if they are tame or friendly yet?
Remember to get us pics :).

·
1,468 Posts
Well goodness knows what frights they've had and what they've been through being on their own. I don't blame them for being a little skittish.
I'm sure that once they start to feel safe and secure at your place you'll be able to woo them one way or another. Regular feedings ought to make you popular :).

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
They need to see if they have tags in their ear. If so they need to contact the State Vet and they will get a hold of the owner. Just remember seeing all the posts of peoples goats that escaped and they find them? I don't think that is what you would want if your goats escaped.

If no tag I would still post flyers all over and contact vets around to see if anyone has asked about them.

I am not trying to bust your bubble just saying.

·
1,468 Posts
Oh yeah, obviously if an owner can be traced you should definitely do that. I kinda think that goes unsaid.
A few times over the years I've been able to help wayward birds find their way home by calling "found" ads where the finder mentions that the bird is banded. Most closed bands can be traced to the breeder who purchaced them and often the breeder can track down who they sold the baby to. Even bands not sold through a club can often be traced because there are only a couple major band sellers and they keep records of the band codes they issue to buyers.

·
1,468 Posts
I don't know if I'd go as far as posting fliers all over. I'd post an ad on craigslist and put up fliers in local feedstores and vets offices. If I lost a goat I'd be out there looking for them. I'd have already posted on cl, the newspaper, Gainesville Petfinder (a facebook thing for this area) and I'd have fliers up in every feedstore and vets office within 25 miles minimum. And I'd have fliers plastered all over every flat surface around and every gas station in the area.

·
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ended up not getting them =( They were not a good fit for my farm. They are not as tame as I was led to believe and they are pretty much scared of anything and everything. Hopefully, I will get different goats soon!

·
1,468 Posts
Oh well.
Hopefully they will find another good home.
Good luck on your search for new goaties :).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts