Reservations for Characteristics?

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by Bona Fide, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Bona Fide

Bona Fide New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Kentucky
    Hey. Anyone ever reserved an animal or bought one for characteristics alone? Not milk production, kidding history or confirmation - but when shopping, bought or reserved a kid just for certain characteristics?

For instance a colorful, blue eyed, polled, moonspotted buckling -

Anyone else done this? I really don't need a buckling as described above, but figure if one comes along bred right, nice confirmation, quality and some/all of the above - I'd be more apt to buy than I would otherwise.

I need another LM buck this year and will evaluate my girls and add one or two more LM girls. But if I add in a Nigerian buck - I won't add the LM buck and will only add one LM or MM doe.

I've got a few reservations on a few of my girls - so I may just wait and do some trading --- we'll see...but anyhow - still feels...shallow LOL.

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    The only time I ever go for characteristics(color in my case) is when I had a buck reserved out of a doe, the doe had twin bucks and I just chose for color since they were both the same genetic quality, conformation etc. It really depends upon what you want for your herd. Personally, I think that quality should come before all of the other stuff.

3. Bona Fide

Bona Fide New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Kentucky
    Oh no - I wouldn't buy SOLEY for those factors - but if they are bred right, put together right, all around quality animals and it comes down to these characteristics OVER not having them --- make sense?

I'm not looking for a Nigerian buck at the moment, but if I found one that had the pedigree I was looking for, had the right confirmation (and was proven if I find a BUCK) and was polled or colorful I may be more apt to think of adding in...IDK if this is making any sense - I refuse to sacrifice quality or breed integrity for desired traits, but at the same time - they're more appealing...

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Yeah I know what you mean :) I do love some of those flashy colors though, I sure wish munchies came in colors like that :)

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Never reserved or bought based on colors. I'm always looking at pedigree, progeny, showing ability, milking ability, etc. I always see color, polled, blue eyes, etc. as icing on the cake. I have seen where some people raise the price if the goats has a certain eye color or moonspots or flashier than the rest and I think that's a bit ridiculous. That should just be a nice EXTRA feature.

6. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I also do not buy for color, eyes, etc. They are definitely nice extras though. :)

I understand asking more for those desired blue eyes and polled traits though. We ask $50 more if the kid has one or both of those traits (not for loud colors though). I understand that totally because people will pay the little extra for that. . . . our prices are on the lower end anyways, so it never amounts to much anyways. I've had to pay extra for those traits.

7. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Yes, I know exactly what you mean about being more open to purchase if the "right" goat comes along. Have to restrain Hubby, he ONLY looks at color. When I was searching for another buck...Hubby insisted we get one with blue eyes. So, I searched for 6 months, and got a very good looking little guy, with blue eyes. Waiting awhile also got me a better price! Now I call that "icing" too!