Reservations

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by KW Farms, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Take Deposit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Take Names

12.5%
  3. Don't do Reservations

87.5%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Ok so i'm kinda curious to see what everyone does about kid reservations. Do you require a deposit? If so, how much? Do you just take names? Basically just how do you work all that.

I've heard of doing both and this year we decided to just take names on which breedings people are interested in. But what works best, in your opinion?

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I take a $25.00 deposit if they are serious about a breeding and then I also have a wait list.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'm supersticious, I don't count my chickens before they hatch! LOL

Though once healthy kids are on the ground, I do send Birth Announcements to those that inquire and do require a deposit if the kid is to be disbudded.

4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Well, we do both. $50 deposit for does, $75 for bucks, $25 for wethers. I only do this if I have several breedings planned and they must have at least a second choice, a third choice would be nice too. :)

I also have a waiting list. Right now, the waiting list is longer than those who have placed deposits. Serious buyers, for the most part, do not mind sending a deposit.

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I just found last year that I had a list of about 30 people that wanted kids from me - and sometimes a specific breeding - and then when they were born, would not send deposit, and it was a game until i finally got mad and told them it was going to the next person - and so forth.

I mean, I sold them all - but still - I don't like playing games

6. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Names in order of receipt. Then they get the option to buy the kid after they are born (I of course have first dibs on kids). If they do want the kid, then I require a depost then that is not refundable. Taking deposits during pregnancy just leads to headaches and problems if the doe doesn't have what you need her to have.

7. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I think having a name AND a deposit would be useful...

Although only one person has ever reserved a goat from me. And she was so enthusiastic she INSISTED on paying a deposit despite me saying it wasnt necessary.

Anyone wanna pay a deposit on Isa? (either so I can keep her or you can... long distance own her HAHA)

8. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    We require deposits here for reservations.

9. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    My sentiments exactly!

Here is what I do, and it has worked really well for me! I have a Waiting List/Mailing List where anyone that wants to can sign up. There are NO deposits made before kids are born, AND there is NO obligation to buy. The information required to join my Waiting List is: full name; phone #; email address; city, state located in; any specfics that they are looking for OR any breeding pair they are interested in (for MY reference ONLY!). I keep a list with EVERYONE's information on it, AND I have a group in my address book titled "Waiting List" which is where I add all email addresses and names of people on the list. Once a kid(s) is born I send out ONE email to EVERYONE on the Waiting List (by just clicking on the waiting list group in my address book so it adds ALL the emails addresses in it) with pics, information, and price(s). After that it is a first come, first served basis. Whoever contacts me first and places a deposit on the kid gets it. If after 48 hours no one on the Waiting List has placed a deposit on the kid, the kid will then be listed on my website for the public to see as well. So far this has worked really well for me... which this year I will be doing registered goats as well as unregistered so I MIGHT change it up a little bit, but I haven't decided yet. Right now I have between 40-50 Waiting List members, SEVERAL of them being repeat customers :greengrin:

Hope this helps!! I am VERY interested to see how everyone else does it :thumb:

10. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    We do not require a money deposit until kids are born.
    Once kids are born and they choose which kid they want we require a $50 non-refundable holding fee.

11. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    We usually take names of the person interested in buying the kids or we pick a kid out of that breeding for a breeding fee instead but our deposits are usually $50.00 though.

12. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I too have a kidding news email group. There are a lot of people on that list that don't put reservations in, they just wait till kids are born and jump on them then. I compose an email with the birth announcement and newborn photos normally and send it to the group email. I usually mention if some are available in that email. Otherwise I put retained or possibly retained.