Restraining Fionn...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by lesserweevil, Jun 26, 2009.

1. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Ok

Fionn has been a BAD boy. He broke out of the field he was in, and made his way into my sister's polythene tunnel where she is growing tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers... you name it... and the rest is history...

:hair:

THANKFULLY a friend found him there after he had only managed to destroy 1 pepper and pull up 4 cucumbers (thankfully 3 could be replanted) so he obviously hadn't been there long... (I said to the guy, if you EVER find him there again... CLOUT him!!!)

But the problem is, he won't stay in the field... and I don't really want to keep him in with the sheep just in CASE he tries to breed them, as I don't want shoats on my hands :wink: so at the moment he is locked up in his shed all day... on his own... and he cries... :(

So I really really want to be able to let him outside, but I need a solution! I tried tying his back leg and his front leg together with about 1ft cord between them, using one of the nylon leads that I have. However he managed to work it loose and free himself. I haven't tried tethering him yet - as I want to exhaust other options first - although actually a friend tried that and he chewed through the rope!!!

The 1/2 tire hanging from his neck is a good idea... however... not QUITE sure how to work it. Does anyone have an idea for an effective hobble - that isn't going to come of, and isn't going to cut off his circulation in his legs?

Any thoughts would be appreciated... otherwise Fionn will stay on his own in his shed until Java is old enough to leave Demi and go live with him.

LW

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    how old is Java? he has to be over 8 weeks as Demi kidded before Angie and Angie's kids are 8 weeks going on 9 weeks.

3. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    He was born April 25. So he is 2 months old. He will be weaned in 1 month. (and it's scary to think of how much milk we will get when the twins are NOT with Demi :shocked: what shall I do with it all? haha

LW

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I say he can be weaned now and that would help your Fionn problem........

5. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    yup you could wean Java

now as for hobbles ...

collar on front leg, collar on diagonal back leg (just above the hoof) and tie together tightly with rope/string. They do an awkward little shuffle but they get around oaky.

The tyre is excellent ... being dehorned you would need a halter on him, tyre on the ground, chain between the two. Basically you make the chain short enough that he can lift his head about level with his back but no higher.

6. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    oooh! I LOVE the collar idea, I have tons of spare collars - heck he can have Java and Mocha's collars... though he might snap the plastic clasps =] (they are too small for them) I really dont want to wean Java yet so I will try that option first. Thx!

LW