restraining goats

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by billmac, Apr 2, 2009.

1. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    I have my first goats, but don't have a milk stand or any kind of a stanchion yet. The boers (3 and 5+) months will eat out of my hand, and will stand still for one little pet on the back but that's about all. They are not collared.

What is the best way to go about getting them used to being restrained? I think the doeling may have a minor cut on her back and she's got a runny eye that I'd like to attend to. And of course their hooves will need trimming.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well you need to catch them first and formost - then I suggest putting them in a smaller pen to be able to catch them easier. Put a collar on them when working on hooves and dealing with injuries - you can then take the collar off when you put them back out or leave it on so that you can catch them.

Do you need information on treating the wound?

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I agree, get them into a smaller area. Easier to gentle a goat in confined quarters and it is VERY stressful on them to chase them, which should never be done. Treats and TIME spent just sitting with them is all it takes sometimes. Get collars on them as well, this way they can be trained to a leash and easier to restrain when needed. Eventually they will come around but since you need to treat and trim hooves, hold them on your lap and talk to them calming them down before you attempt to do any "maintenence" it will help with just a bit of comforting before you do anything to them.

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I was going to say what Liz did. TIME and treats. Sit in the pen with them and just hold some treats for them. It could be animals crackers, raises, bread, just about anything. Don't reach to touch them until they come to you without being scared.
    I have to say sold several babies that I never really touched at all, (if I play with them I get way to attached to them). I have received emails with pictures of the goats all over the new owners and they are so friendly now. One even had to have shots twice a day for 7 days and becuase she got hurt, and even with that she is all over them. It is a great sight.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with everyone...real good advice ladies... :wink:

6. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    The previous replies have given you good advice to slowly quieten your goats down and get them used to being handled. May I also suggest you google "halter breaking calves/cattle" - the same principles apply its just a smaller animal.

In the meantime, here's how to restrain an animal, if you need to immobilise and treat it, if it is not at all used to be handled:

Get them into a small yard by either chasing them (quietly), or leading them with food. The yard needs to be small enough for you to catch them easily. Catch them by a horn, arms round the neck, or by grabbing a back leg (yes, it does work and no you wont hurt them).

Put a collar on either the neck or horns, or a halter on the head (I prefer halter personally) and tie it securely to the fence. And when I say securely I mean her head is pressed up against the fence. You dont want her moving if you are trying to doctor her by yourself.

If it wiggles and jiggles and swings around from side to side, get a rope and tie from the fence, around the flank of the goat and back to the fence. You now have your goat pinned to the fence and relatively immobile for working with. You should be able to treat the cut on the back and the sore eye.

You can also trim feet with the goat in this position, and if she kicks an awful lot have a third rope there with a running loop in the end of it, loop it over the leg you are working on and tie it to the fence.

Now all of that probably sounds bad but trust me it is an effective way to get that animal restrained if there is no one to help hold it, it doesnt hurt the animal even though the goat is probably screaming its head off.

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow keren .....now that would work...... :wink:

8. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    I jsut need one of those table you walk the goat nest to tie em to the table and it flips up so that the top is parellel to the ground the feet are pointin out goat on its side and you can trim and treat. :greengrin: they are was expensive tho. so lets tie em to a fence in the mean time. good advice thx.

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Now that Karen is one HECK of a goat wrangler - :ROFL:

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  11. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    gotta b an ausie thing :wink:

12. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    lol I was worried you guys would freak out and think I was cruel!

But yeah, it does work. You know I have to deal with goats in a different situation to most of you ... the paddock goats at work, well some of them have never been handled, and none of them are pets that will just stand quietly. Then we have the wild harvest ones ... boy are they fun.

I'll try and take some pics later on, gotta wait till mum gets back from town with the camera and also its raining! :leap: :wahoo: hope it settles in. Figured out yesterday so far this year we have only got 29% of the average rainfall we should have by now. Been holding off sowing my grazing oats and ryecorn, and establishing my new tree lucerne. I contemplated doing it yesterday, wish I had now that its raining today. Maybe I will try and get it in tomorrow if we get a decent rain today.

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Naaa........sometimes it takes a real goat wrangler to get things done.... :D

14. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Wow 29% you got a wet year :greengrin: I think we are still in a debt from last year or so here in AZ. And na your not cruel. I just wish they wouldn't scream when you do that cause my neighbors will call the cops.