The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you all think of Farm Animal Sanctuaries?
We have one near us called Animal Place that offers a home to farm animals-- they have a really cool rabbit pen with indoor covered space (with tunnels made out of hay bales) and a covered outdoor pasture for them too, as well as space for pigs, cows, sheep goats and chickens(they rescued 4000 abandoned factory hens that had been left to starve)....
Its really cool to tour (they give tours) and yes it is run by a bunch of vegan collective people.

I am just perplexed by the request of a person to place her "old goat" and it appears she would rather butcher then give the old gal to a sanctuary, and I dont know why?
Why would you place an ad to rehome your old Nanny goat and then take advice on how to butcher rather than click on the link provided to rehome her to a "sanctuary"....

Pls explain. I do not understand.

·
Registered
31,055 Posts
where I would choose a retirement sancuary, someone else sees fit to fill the freezer...niether is wrong..its just how each sees the situation...

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
where I would choose a retirement sancuary, someone else sees fit to fill the freezer...niether is wrong..its just how each sees the situation...
But she said she was trying to find a good home for it! I am not making judgement on people butchering....
But Iam just confused that it seems that animal sanctuaries are not held in high regard? Or just too difficult to deal with in some way?...

·
Super Moderator
59,286 Posts
Do a search on Montana Large Animal Sanctuary.

While people always start out with good intentions, you need money to properly care for all the animals.

Not sure what you are talking about with someone looking for a good home and then wants to put them in freezer. Don't understand why you are upset about it.

Not that all sanctuaries are bad. I'm sure there are some really good ones out there. But you can't be guaranteed that they will always have donations coming in.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do a search on Montana Large Animal Sanctuary.

While people always start out with good intentions, you need money to properly care for all the animals.

Not sure what you are talking about with someone looking for a good home and then wants to put them in freezer. Don't understand why you are upset about it.

Not that all sanctuaries are bad. I'm sure there are some really good ones out there. But you can't be guaranteed that they will always have donations coming in.
just wondering if sanctuaries are seen as that bad thats all... and I guess I wouldnt have batted an eye if she had just asked for advice on butchering vs giving a whole little vignette in the goats life...
I will let it go...

·
Registered
31,055 Posts
I agree with Karen.... Also we cant understand why she first wanted to find a good home then decided to butcher...without the full detail story,we cannot understand her motives..just have to except it..

·
Registered
31,055 Posts
Sometimes all we can do it take a deep breath and move on..;)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
In some places the term "animal sanctuary" has come to be linked in the minds of people with "overwhelmed animal hoarder". We have a couple of those places around me, good intentions but a staunch refusal to put down anything ever, no matter how unhealthy... and a lot of begging for money/supplies while still taking in more animals. Crowded conditions, etc.

Absolutely NOT all sanctuaries are like this, there are some that are FANTASTIC. But most of those limit the number of animals coming in or charge a fee to keep the animal there like a low boarding fee. Because they know that is the only way to be sure they can keep up with the animals they already have. So they have to turn away a lot of people. And then a lot more people just don't even ask because they assume they will be turned away.

I'm not sure why this person did as you say, though. I have an older doe who will be retiring after her next kidding and I have no idea what I am going to do with her. :-/ I can't keep an unproductive doe, but she has been too nice of a girl to reward her with the freezer. She is plenty fit to breed for a few more years but i will have all the daughters from her that i want and because of the past damage to her udder it isn't worth breeding her just for the milk. I will likely try to find her a home, and include a breeding. More like they are buying her kids and getting her for free. But I don't know. I've really been stewing about this one for a while.

·
Banned
988 Posts
She may not have been able to find a place that would take her. Or the places she may have found were not ideal. That's when she may have decided that putting her in the freezer would be better for the goat. We may never know why she changed her mind.

·
1,524 Posts
In my area, there is a place that advertises as a sanctuary for goats and sheep. They show nice pictures of a well made barn full of hay, happy goats and sheep at a well stocked feeder full of nice green hay. They also wanted animals for their kids birthday party and promised a life long home for the goats/sheep in the above mentioned barn.

Well, because it involved a farm animal crazy kid, I "donated" 2 of my bucklings (that I could have easily sold) so the kid could have a party with friendly animals. Imagine my disgust when I found that they take in the animals and then haul them all to the auction! And the kids were in poor shape when they hit the auction.:ponder:

SCAM. Unfortunately, a lot of the so called rescues and sanctuaries for farm animals are not nice places, they are just holding places for animals destined to go to auction.:eek:

I've learned a lesson in trust. My bucklings now either go to a dealer who brings them right to market or I wether them and raise for meat. My retired does stay with me until they die of old age or have to be PTS because of health problems.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In some places the term "animal sanctuary" has come to be linked in the minds of people with "overwhelmed animal hoarder". We have a couple of those places around me, good intentions but a staunch refusal to put down anything ever, no matter how unhealthy... and a lot of begging for money/supplies while still taking in more animals. Crowded conditions, etc.

Absolutely NOT all sanctuaries are like this, there are some that are FANTASTIC. But most of those limit the number of animals coming in or charge a fee to keep the animal there like a low boarding fee. Because they know that is the only way to be sure they can keep up with the animals they already have. So they have to turn away a lot of people. And then a lot more people just don't even ask because they assume they will be turned away.

I'm not sure why this person did as you say, though. I have an older doe who will be retiring after her next kidding and I have no idea what I am going to do with her. :-/ I can't keep an unproductive doe, but she has been too nice of a girl to reward her with the freezer. She is plenty fit to breed for a few more years but i will have all the daughters from her that i want and because of the past damage to her udder it isn't worth breeding her just for the milk. I will likely try to find her a home, and include a breeding. More like they are buying her kids and getting her for free. But I don't know. I've really been stewing about this one for a while.
I would take your goat in a minute!
there has to be people like us in your area looking for such a goat dont give up..... I am attached to the idea of doing right by a goat that has done right for you...(although really, poor goats that are "unproductive" its not something that one can help, really... is it)...

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Yeah, sanctuary = hoarders for me too. Just about most rescues equal hoarders to me too, there are few and far between that are legitimate. Like WP said, they start out with good intentions, but so often end up treating the animals much the same as the people who they were "rescued" from in the first place did.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts