Return of Rollo

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by TexasRanger, May 25, 2010.

1. TexasRanger

TexasRanger New Member

Feb 2, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Sold Rollo a month ago to a guy, 30 minutes ago our neighbor comes up our driveway and says one of our goats is in his pasture. I count the goats, all five are there. I go to check it out, it's a little white and gray goat. I bring Snickers, mom, up there and he instantly recognizes her and comes running. Thing is, I don't have the guys number or name. The guy was a newby to the world of goats, he had gotten Rollo for his wife. Now what the heck am I supposed to do with him? He is in good shape, no cuts, good form, etc. I can't tell if the guy dumped him, or if Rollo escaped. I know the guy lived aways away, just not where.

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH NO. I can not imagine a goat jumping out and not being is a secured place. Poor thing. I wonder if her calls you back? I bet he will be devastated and embarrassed to call you.

3. TexasRanger

TexasRanger New Member

Feb 2, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Thing is, Rollo isn't an escape artist. He never tried to escape here, even when he was by himself in the pen. The guy really was clueless about goats, I told him about the minerals, what to feed/not feed, hooves, etc. I'm holding him for 90 days and after that, will try and sell him again. At least a cougar didn't get him.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    hmm thats really odd. Well I hope that it works out in the end. THe guy probably just dumped him off and figured the goat would find his way back to you if left close enough.

5. TexasRanger

TexasRanger New Member

Feb 2, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Just went out to look at him again, they have trimmed off half his ridge. :? (The hair that stands up on his back). Why the hell would someone do that!?

6. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    If the guy doesn't live anywhere near you, then it sounds like the goat was dumped off. How did the guy find you when he bought Rollo? Newspaper ad? Craigslist? You could place an ad if it was in one of those places and say that you found the goat. I'm sure you would know what he looks like if you saw him again, so that would ward off anyone trying to get a free goat. If he doesn't reply, and you keep trying to make him aware you have the goat, then I don't see why you couldn't sell him.

Good Luck and I am so sorry to hear about this! At least he is okay!

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    You know, I do not believe I would let him have him back even if he calls. Hey you sold him, he came home, so there for maybe he was meant to stay with you :thumb:
    Someone that clueless,NO WAY would I see them one of my goats.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That does sound odd.....It does sound like.... he may of been dumped off..... :sigh:

I don't know the laws there but ...just be careful...you don't want it to come back on you ...in the wrong way...... find out tthe laws on livestock and see what is the proper method... to go by...... :hug:

9. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Finders keepers. :laugh: I wonder if maybe the cut hair off his back was Rollo going under a wooden fence possibly? I've heard of dogs and cats finding their way home from great distances, but not sure about goats. I'd think if he had found his way that far, he'd have found his way to your pasture and not your neighbors. :shrug:

10. TexasRanger

TexasRanger New Member

Feb 2, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    My dad thinks the guy probably brought him back after he was tired of him, didn't remember which driveway was ours, and just left him on my neighbors. I sold him through Craigslist. His wife was the first one to call, she was super excited about owned a goat, said she'd had a few, etc. What I couldn't figure out is , why dump him? With the hispanic population around here he could of sold him for taco meat. (I raise them for either pets, meat, or brush eaters.)

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    How long after you sold him did he show back up? I guess I assumed it was the same day. :shrug:

12. TexasRanger

TexasRanger New Member

Feb 2, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    I sold him at the end of last month.

13. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I bet he was dumped, especially if he was the only goat at the new place...I bet his continual lonely crying got to them and they were embarrassed to call you.

14. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    How sad :( At least he's safe now...

15. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    You might just have to sigh, and say, "Welcome home, Rollo." Whats one more...right? :shades:

Gina