Return of the Gypsy Goats...

Discussion in 'Photogenic' started by FunnyRiverFarm, Sep 12, 2010.

1. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    A few pics from today!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Who wants to tell Flower that she's getting too big for my lap! LOL!
    [​IMG]

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Great pics!
    Benny ALWAYS looks so happy when he's "hitched" up :love:

Isn't it sweet how babies still want to be babies even when they don't fit anymore :hug:

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Aww...neat pics.... and that is a big lap goat, hehe.... :laugh:

4. FunnyRiverFarm

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Thanks!

Benny is a good boy...most of the time...LOL! He likes looking at all the new and interesting things in town :)

5. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    Cute, I love it!

I really, really want a goat cart and a couple of big old wethers to pull me around :)

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :wink: :thumb:

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Me TOO. How cool woudl that be to have a goat pull you in a parade?

8. jberter

jberter New Member

Hi there,, :wave:
    First off , please tell us some about your wonderful boy Benny,, such a handsome boy and well mannered to and what a very nice cart you have. Everyone looks great in the pictures including yourself.. :) I have a this year baby girl who's name is Hiedie that thinks she is still a lap goat to,, silly kid ,, Thank you for sharing your pic's and please post more often,,they are all nice looking goats, they are the milk goats,,right?? :whatgoat:

9. FunnyRiverFarm

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Benny is a 6 y/o (aproximately) Alpine wether...very large--close to 250lbs--but very gentle! :) We live in an area where there is not a lot to do so we have to create our own entertainment...so we dress up and take the goats to town!

Benny, obviously, is not a milker but I do have two Lamancha does that are being milked right now :) The smaller goats (although, not much smaller anymore!) in the photos are this year's babies.

10. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Gypsy goats...I :love: it! The pictures, too. Benny is awesome! Have you decided to keep both kids?

Deb Mc

11. FunnyRiverFarm

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I am keeping Flower and Moon Pie at least until they freshen (so probably forever knowing me!)...but I am torn over whether or not I should keep Hornsby...She is a sweet girl but smaller than the other 2 and won't be able to be bred this fall...and I really need to keep goat numbers at bay!

12. MiGoat

MiGoat New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    West Michigan
    You can tell her she's too big for your lap all you want but I bet she has a rubberband on her...meaning everytime you put her off you she's back on before you can straighten up. LOL

I love the gypsy goats! I need to show my daughter this....I told her about you doing this and we got all excited about doing it. She wants to do an Odin type thing with a chariot and two goats..I want to do a sitting down carriage for myself. LOL

Do you have more pics of your carriage? Did you make it yourself?

Thanks!

13. Goat Crazy

Goat Crazy New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    NE Ohio
    How hard is it to train a goat to pull a cart? After seeing this I want to get a wether to pull a cart! I bet it is easier to train a goat then a pony. Cheaper to own a goat too!LOL

14. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I've said it before and I'll say it again.......I LOVE BENNY :love: ! He is the most handsome boy!

Love the pics.....you all look so happy!

15. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    I have three wethers I would like to train to do this. They are about 3 years old right now. How old was Benny when you started him? Do you use reins?

Gina

16. FunnyRiverFarm

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    There are a couple pictures in the working goats section that I posted for someone else. We did not make this cart but it was made using the plans on this site: http://www2.localaccess.com/rockyrun/car1.htm

The hardest part is getting the goat to walk in front of you! They would much rather follow than lead. It is really hard to get Benny to pull me because I'm his "momma" and he rather walk behind me. he pulls my husband just fine though--it's sooo annoying! LOL!

They are plently old enough to get started. Benny was about 4 y/o when I got him and he's about 6 y/o now. I would have started him with a cart as a 2 y/o if he lived with me at that time.

He does have a bridle with reins but we weren't using it in the photos--we just lead him around that day.

17. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Very cool. I have been putting a saddle bag on Romeo and he doesn't care. I'll start putting some weight in it next time I do it.

I bet it is hard to get them to walk in front. I hadn't thought about that....They follow me everywhere and ignore my husband unless he has bread. :laugh:

Gina

18. Oat Bucket Farm

Oat Bucket Farm New Member

Dec 13, 2009
    I love those pics :) And I still want Flower :greengrin:

19. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    very cute! What a good boy!

20. Dunfactor

Dunfactor New Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Wow, how cool is that. :) Benny looks like a very cool boy and I love that lap goat. :greengrin:

Tracy