The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mom gave birth on may 10th 2019 to one male kid and is doing great we did initially have some trouble with latching but resolve it later that night. We have currently just the one doe and the male buck and one wether male , We have mom set up in the barn and were wondering when do we return mom to the pasture and if it is safe to We do have a pond in the middle of our pasture so we dont have room to separate the pasture in half. Is it safe to let her out for a bit and leave baby inside? Or will she get pregnant again I hope not silly questions but im truly just got thrown into this when a farmer left them with me so im trying to learn as much as i can raising a new kid

·
Fair-Haven
4,612 Posts
You really need a separate place for mom and the kid. Do NOt let her in with the buck unless you want her bred. Bucks can be nice to babies or horrible. Unless you get a separate area, if you have the ability to pen up the boys and let mom out for a bit, that would be great. And keep the kid with mom.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You really need a separate place for mom and the kid. Do NOt let her in with the buck unless you want her bred. Bucks can be nice to babies or horrible. Unless you get a separate area, if you have the ability to pen up the boys and let mom out for a bit, that would be great. And keep the kid with mom.
Perfect i know it sounds like common sense but for me its safer to ask then to assume thank you I can certainly leash the boys and bring mom and baby out and swap rooms for a few hours

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
No questions are silly! And welcome! Here, we all love goats. Also when they rebreed, which is likely to happen if you just let her out. Aprons?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How long would i keep the kid away from the bucks would be my next question i guess im still reading through threads as i posted this so this might be a little early to ask

·
Registered
223 Posts
If you have a place sepperate from the buck you can probably let mom and baby out to forage second or third day. I was reading of people that let them kid in the pasture but I wasn't brave enough for that myself.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Im actually going to try it tomorrow . Let Mom and kid outside and bring the buck inside the barn while we clean the stall up , im also going to try to see if our wether lucky will be ok with the kid because has been staying real close to the stall and "talking to mom " The wether is quite friendly as he was abandoned by his mom and bottle fed , but if not he can also be place in the barn

1 - 19 of 19 Posts