Reuniting herd ?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by JessaLynn, Dec 13, 2009.

1. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Well it's been 2 weeks since my doe Graice kid and thought it time to slowly reintroduce her back into the herd.I let one of our other does Dixie back in the pen with her and didn't go to great.Dixie was immediently throwing her weight around and went after the babies hard one time.Scared me.Gracie just hide from Dixie most of the time.I'm scared to let them alone so I put Dixie back in the other pen with the others.Should I just keep bringing her back in each day for a little bit? Will she calm down eventually?

2. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    That is unfortunately totally normal. Gracie will have to reestablish her place in the pecking order. This is just the same as if you were bringing a brand new goat into the herd. Though they look like battles of epic proportion, they usually cause no damage. You might have to keep the babies separate and introduce them very slowly while you are out there to referee. When our doe gave birth last year I only kept her separate for 24 hours. I then let her back out into the rest of the herd for a couple hours. Then I locked her back up with her babies. This was repeated several time throughout the day for a week. I was then able to let the babies out also. The babies had areas they could run to when the adults got to be too much though. My does didn't seem to pester the babies too much so they were usually pretty safe. The ony problem we had was when one of them tried to get a snack off a dry doe who has a blown teat. Its larger and he saw it as a food source. She promptly kicked him off and butted him a couple feet. He learned very quickly to stay out of her way and to feed from mama only. Every thing will work out.

3. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Anytime I separate goats they have to go through the push and shove to get their spot back. Part of herd dynamics. This happens on a routine basis anyway in most herds so its just normal.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Sorry to say it...but unfortunately ....they have to battle it out....taking her out each day only starts it over again ......... I would put the dominate doe ...that has the issues with her together for a while... in a pen...(but not to small)....alone ...so they can resolve the order....then ...put them in with everyone else.... after it is settled.... but watch them...... if it gets way out of hand...... you may have to remove one....use your best judgment..... but remember....... it has to be resolved...........usually I find by putting the 2 with issues together ...without others to egg her on...solves the problem..... goats can be so mean.... :doh: :help:

5. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Well Dixie tore Gracie's spur off and she bled just a tad bit from it.Terrible :hair: I'm more concerned with the new kids..They are to small to defend themselves.I have a little crate they can go into to get away from the other goats.Dixie has been my problem child from the start.She gets out of the 5ft chain link fence,squeezes her fat body into the chicken coop door to get to their food,tramples me to get to the grain,fights with everyone.I swear I'm ready to give her the boot!She drives me nuts!!

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    With my new mama's and kids, I will normally let mom's out with the herd as soon as they are ready to leave their babies....normally it is usually within a week. Once the babies are quick on their feet and only when I can supervise that they have the choice to venture out into the pen....they do learn very quickly which does are approachable, I sometimes have to force the new mom out to get some air as she isn't too keen on leaving her babies behind. They are stalled together in bad weather and at night.

7. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    They are seperated by a fence so they could still see each other just can't get to one another.I thought it would help but guess not.The kids are my main concern and when I seen Dixie pin the little buckling down to the ground hard.It really scared me.He wasn't even doing anything to her..she just went at him.

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    That is scary...I have seen kids get nailed and it about stops my heart! If you allow mama to be out with the other girls for an hour by herself, leaving the kids where she can see them, it helps and ables her to re-establish her position in the herd, after that then go and sit in the pen with the babies on your lap, let the other girls come to you and check out the kids, this way they are safe in your arms and can get used to their scent...Does Dixie have babies? If not now, then when she does her attitude towards the other girls kids may change. I try and freshen my girls around the same time mainly because it's easier for me but I have noticed that when all the does have babies they are more tolerable of other kids.....and even my retired doe who hasn't had kids in almost 2 years was a very good grandma to the babies born in the spring.

9. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I'll try that thanks.No but she should be bred though hopefully :pray: I wonder how our other doe Maggie will take to the kids.She's a large nubian and wasn't going to attempt it yet.TO scared she would crush the poor babies.She has had kids but never got the chance to raise any.She will this next time around.We just bought her last month and she should be bred as well.I'll try again with it tomorrow.

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would try a differnet doe in with the mom and babies -- not the best idea to stick the herd bully in with new babies just yet.

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    No... definitely not...the babies..... I forgot to mention that in my post answer... :doh: ....by no means...have them in there... I would leave the babies out..... of the pen.. while they are resolving the pecking order... if JessaLynn were to try it.......... usually it doesn't take that long... sometimes a half hour or so.... but if it goes on and on...... I would maybe think about getting rid ...of the bully ....if you don't like her behavior... she may always be a threat... :hug:

12. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Ok it's funny because she was never like that before.She was always the trouble maker but never picked fights with the rest like that.It was always Gracie that would be the head doe.Now after having her kids she has become the lowest on the totem pole :doh: I wont let kids in while they are all working it out.Thanks for the help!