The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got decent pix of Stumpy's teeth and how they stick out. I know this is a fault but I am not sure what it is called.
Anyway, this disqualifies her from breeding. I am trying to find a pet only home.
The zoo won't take her, they only want polled for the Kidzoo (they have 4 of my goats there now.)
I really don't want to keep her all winter but at 21 pounds she's not really worth dressing out. She's 8 months old.
It will be a pain to keep her separate here.
I am pretty sure if I put her on CL, FB or through the sale, she'll just get bred anyway, which is what I am trying to avoid. (Ethical problem?)
I imagine those teeth, being totally unopposed, will need floating regularly.
Any ideas on what to do with her?
Goat Working animal Grass Groundcover Terrestrial animal

Eye Goat Grass Goat-antelope Terrestrial animal
Organism Gesture Finger Thumb Dog breed

·
Super Moderator
14,768 Posts
Even being small there are still people that would butcher at that size especially being so young. Myself I would take her to the sale, most of what goes threw a sale ends up on the dinner table, especially ones that have a defect as noticeable as hers is.
If that is not a option though I would still go with a CL or FB ad. There is no guarantees what someone will do with her no matter where you sell her but honestly there are so many bleeding hearts out there they would probably snag her up as a pet. Plus she is cute and If she is sweet all the better! Just state in your ad that she has a under bite and she will only be sold as a pet, or if your fine with it, butcher.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's just called an underbite?
Oh yeah, now I am wondering if I should cull that whole family line.
Her twin is normal mouthed. This was her mom's 2nd freshening, last year she had a normal single.
Both her mom & twin (and last year's kid) are taller,leggier goats.
Stumpy is built more like a tiny pygmy. She acts like a little bulldozer with the rest of the herd.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
I’m thinking maybe she can’t eat very well and therefore is not growing at the rate she should.
Maybe feeding her soaked pellets would help her grow, if you wanted to go the meat route.
As for her staying separate, is that because she might hurt the preggos?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She's currently separated out with 2 too young to breed does. I pulled them from the herd when I pulled Tick's buck apron on Nov.1.
He'll be put up for sale after breeding season, then I'll go back to one big happy until I get a new buck or get ready for a new breeding season.
I try to keep my herd around 10 does + one buck, mostly on pasture/field growth.
She doesn't seem to have eating issues right now, her back teeth are normal and she's chubby. She seems to grow wider, not taller!
She'd be smaller than a turkey if dressed out now.
You can see how tiny her horns are, one of the other youngsters is about the same age and has twice the horns. Her sister is polled.
I think she may have issues eating in a couple of years because I think those teeth will keep growing/sticking out further and further.
I have been dosing her weekly with replamin, you can see the weird long back hairs sticking up from the crest of her back so she had some mineral issues.
Her newer winter coat is lush and plush and puffy. She's the knot-head of the bunch, but normal behavior.
As a baby she had some serious Cocci issues which is not usually a thing here. She can still be difficult to catch - fear of drenching, I think. I treated her 3 different times.
The last fecal was sort of a group fecal amongst the 3 girls and it was okay, nothing that warranted further testing.
I need to get a side shot of her face, she kind of looks like a pug dog.

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
2,660 Posts
That's just called an underbite?
Oh yeah, now I am wondering if I should cull that whole family line.
Her twin is normal mouthed. This was her mom's 2nd freshening, last year she had a normal single.
Both her mom & twin (and last year's kid) are taller,leggier goats.
Stumpy is built more like a tiny pygmy. She acts like a little bulldozer with the rest of the herd.
I know a lady you can Gmail. She takes in deformed, hurt, sick, etc goats. She takes them in from all over the US. If your interested I could tell you how to get in touch? She has a "goat sanctuary". She takes very good care of all her goaties. I think she has like 105 goats?.... Probably more by now.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know a lady you can Gmail. She takes in deformed, hurt, sick, etc goats. She takes them in from all over the US. If your interested I could tell you how to get in touch? She has a "goat sanctuary". She takes very good care of all her goaties. I think she has like 105 goats?.... Probably more by now.
Where is her ranch?

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
2,660 Posts
Where is her ranch?
New Jersey. But like I said, this women takes in all kinds of goats from everywhere. Ever heard of Goats Of Anarchy? Thats her. You can look her up, shes awesome! All her goats get TOP care and all the love they can get! She takes in a lot of goats with disabilitys and deformments too. I would say 30% of her goats are in goat-wheel chairs

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I watched some of their websites but she's not that handicapped...
It's an impressive operation.
Over and over they stated that they are slowing/stopping intakes.
All the various prostheses are really impressive.
I would like to know more about the young goat with the helmet, too.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I watched some of their websites but she's not that handicapped...
It's an impressive operation.
Over and over they stated that they are slowing/stopping intakes.
All the various prostheses are really impressive.
She doesn't just take in handies. That's why I suggested her😋. But im sure you'll find Stumpy a home!

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
If I remember right part of his brain is exposed on the top of his head and to protect it he has to wear a helmet

·
Registered
*Gotta love ‘em kids!*
750 Posts
Just an idea. If you can’t find her a good home, this place helps find animals in need, sanctuaries. They are associated with Goats or Anarchy & other place like that around American.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Just my personal thoughts here: if you think that Stumpy has issues that will cause problems for her later in life, the kindest thing you can do is butcher her, even if she doesn't provide much meat. Then you know she's had a good life and a humane end. If you part with her, you will no longer be certain of that.
I'm sure you'll do what's best.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts