The Goat Spot Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
2,660 Posts
Just my personal thoughts here: if you think that Stumpy has issues that will cause problems for her later in life, the kindest thing you can do is butcher her, even if she doesn't provide much meat. Then you know she's had a good life and a humane end. If you part with her, you will no longer be certain of that.
I'm sure you'll do what's best.
I too agree.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
God creates creatures and humans in certain ways to bless our lives. I know it is a deformity that could potentially be passed on. However, is that deformity one that at the moment is costing you vets bills or special feeds bills? Before culling because of what she looks like today, consider placement at a sanctuary where her quality of life will be so good. She is still a young goat and can bring so much joy and love to some one. If finding a home for her becomes a chore and her bills appear then I would consider as a last option culling. As an animal breeder / advocate and rescuer, like a medical practitioner, "first do no harm", and consider a right to life.

Purely my opinion

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I am not rushing off to shoot her in the head but I also have a real knowledge of just how long it can take to place an animal. The best thing is for me to get the word out to as many as possible. Usually, eventually, something often turns up, (even for excess roosters).
Moving her is not critical at the moment and her health is actually the best it has ever been. Cuter is more now when she's little so it should be easier. I have the luxury of some time to find her a home. I am pretty sure her teeth can be safely maintained for years with a little extra care. But she cannot stay here. I keep a buck & accidents happen. I do not want the chance of Stumpy popping out weird babies.
I have a deep respect for animal sanctuaries and prefer to see their efforts go to more endangered animals, especially in these times & this economy. I have grown a deep distrust of what goat buyers promise, I do not want to put effort into this only to run into her next year, knocked up and scabby, at the sale barn. But I also have a practical side, am an omnivore and have been doing this goat thing a long time. Stumpy is the first I have ever had born with a severe but very survivable conformational defect. I don't want it passed on but she is an engaging little stinker and I will try to find her a home. So far the worst thing she's ever known is Corid drenching. It would be nice to keep it that way.
As a senior citizen who is about to retire, I can not let her become a running care & vet bill. There are local "sanctuaries" that expect you to contribute constantly to them if you place an animal with them. We also have "sanctuaries" that "rescue"animals and place/rehome them at a profit. As her breeder/owner, I will try to find her a home. As a farmer, sometimes animals go to God's Little Dinner party....Freezer Camp....
I also want Stumpy to be educational for y'all. You can read/study conformation guides all day long but nothing beats seeing a fault in real life. To see her unfortunate grin, to see her constantly licking her teeth because they dry out and hang up on her top lip, to see the angle and sharpness of the unopposed edges (the front edges have cut me several times while Replamining her), that gives you an understanding of why it is a fault and how it can progress to affect the animals future health.
Sorry for the epistle, just woke up after night shift -- it's good coffee!

·
Super Moderator
14,768 Posts
No sorry needed you hit some major nails on the head on your post! We have a lot of rescue groups here and honest all they are are pretty little flippers. I say pretty because they come off as so great and it’s all about the animals, but it’s ultimately not. They are flippers With a dirty side of pulling heartstring.
But you have a good head on your shoulders! You know the options, you live in the real world and understand it, so do the best you can by her :)

·
Registered
Kinder Goats
386 Posts
I'm glad that you are considering all options with her. I personally would butcher because it would be dangerous and expense to sterilize her. It would be different if she was a he and could be banded. I don't sell culls because it is all too often that a "pet home" one day becomes a backyard breeder. It can be as simple as someone deciding that after having a couple pet goats for a few years they want to get into breeding and they don't want to give up their pets so they get bred too, by accident or on purpose.
That being said, I agree with you that it could be a very management solution if you could find a sanctuary that would take her without having to pay for vet bills all the time. I wish you luck in finding a place for her!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I'm glad that you are considering all options with her. I personally would butcher because it would be dangerous and expense to sterilize her. It would be different if she was a he and could be banded. I don't sell culls because it is all too often that a "pet home" one day becomes a backyard breeder. It can be as simple as someone deciding that after having a couple pet goats for a few years they want to get into breeding and they don't want to give up their pets so they get bred too, by accident or on purpose.
That being said, I agree with you that it could be a very management solution if you could find a sanctuary that would take her without having to pay for vet bills all the time. I wish you luck in finding a place for her!
That's also a very real fear - about people changing their minds later!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts