RHODIES!!!!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Victoria, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    I cannot believe this is actually happening!!
    MY helpful neighbor came by this morning, he had a truck load of rose clippings to toss out to my goats..long after he was gone, I was out givin them fresh water and THERE WAS RHODIES IN THE MIX!!! AAAAHHHHHHGGGGHHHHHH! The rhodies blopomed out a few months ago, so they aren't all crystalized , but the all got some, I have three really wild goats..should I just pepto everyone!!??

My neighbor knows they are bad for the goats but I think he just forgot, and I always ask him if there are rhodies, there has never been a problem with this in years of living next to him..so I do not blame him at all, I should of been more careful and asked as usual..

Anyways, it's been a couple of hours..
    My buck got into rhodies earlier this year, he nearly died...
    so I cut all them way back across the fence to the other neighbors...

Is it true that they are worse for goaties in the spring??

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I would give everyone activated Charcoal asap. It's better to be safe than sorry. The charcoal wont hurt them.

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Milk of Magnesia will help too....if ANY are throwing up at this point, let them throw up, they are getting rid of the offending plant, just be sure to have a steady supply of water, they will want to drink alot and you want them to drink alot to help stay hydrated as well as thin out the toxins.

Activated charcoal gel is the easiest to give, and it is a lifesaver, I reccomend thaty every goat owner has a tube on hand.

4. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Only two of them are acting off, I have fluids, but no charcoal...I will get some though..

What about rhodies not being as toxic when they aren't blooming?? Ever heard of that??

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    The thing they really need right now is charcoal. It's very important the two that are acting off get it asap. MOM is good too.

Never heard of them being less toxic when not blooming.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    they are toxic at any time.

Activated charcoal is what you need

7. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    I will burn some toast then, and get the MOM in them..I have stuff for horses, cows, sheep and goats for toxins and diarrhea..i don't have the name, I got it from the clinic..I will stuff that down them as well...

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Rhodies and Azaela are toxic at ANY time, I went thru this back in February with my moms goats...all 6 except the yearling were vomiting, she didn't have Activated Charcoal either but I did find a rhodi poisening tea on Fiasco Farm site that all got dosed with.

Lorraine's Recipe for Rhododendron Poisoning.
    Quantities do not need to be too exact.

Ingredients: Mix together and drench the goat with the entire mixture.
    1/4 cup cooking oil
    1/2 cup strong/strong cold tea (6 to 8 tea bags)
    1 teaspoon ground ginger
    1 teaspoon baking soda

9. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Liz,
    Once again, you have been ever so helpful!!
    Thank you!

10. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    now thats interesting ... I've used that same recipe but different quantities, plus burnt some toast into it.

Tell you what, the goaties certainly dont like it :greengrin:

11. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Yikes, I hope they are doing okay. Wish I was there to help.

12. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Well, so far so good, I have my baby doe inside as she got the most of it..
    My crazy girl Fallow, loves the potion I gave them!! She is a silly girl!
    Every one else hates it!!
    None of them are vomiting, although Fallow looks uncomfortable, it is a bit warmer today than it has been, and she is due to kid in a few weeks, so that could be part of it..
    But anyways, we are all doin good for now..
    Thanks everyone for the support...

13. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Im sorry i didnt see this post sooner. Everyone is right in the fact that they're poisenous all the time. Activated charcoal and mineral oil is the best, the charcoal will help absorb the crystals. I have used the ginger recipe in young kids never in adults but i imagine it works the same. I had a doe who loved rhodies and i always kept charcoal mineral oil and a coffee grinder in my first aid kit mainly for her.
    Let us know how everyone is doing. Im crossing my fingers. You were quick. Time is the key with poisenings.
    beth