The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One in my girls is anemic but after a shot of iron she had an allergic reaction vet said through diet only or it could be worse next time. So rice is high in iron but I cannot find any infor on google from knowledgable people regarding rice and goats.

Sent from my iPhone using GoatSpot

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
I would try some Red Cell. I have given my goats cooked rice, leftovers, before. But, I can't imagine rice curing an iron deficiency. Generally speaking...it's difficult to cure a deficiency with whole food. Make sure they have a good loose mineral, free choice. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
I would look into oral iron supplements. I don't think they would end up with enough from rice and I'm not sure rice is good for goats. Plus you would really have to sprout it to get the proper nutrients out of it.

·
1,524 Posts
Look up foods high in iron and go from there. Will she eat spinach? oral iron supplements? (Geritol and the like) I'd also give her B complex injections (or orally) since they need a B vitamin to properly use Iron. (b12 maybe? I forgot which one!)

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The vet said no supplements just through food Siberia she reacted to the supplement. I'll see if I can "get" her to eat spinach

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
did some searching and found the information below on iron rich foods:

Wheat and most of the grains and cereals (in their whole state) contain iron in the form of iron phosphate, also the following fruits and vegetables: beets, turnips, tomatoes, spinach, lettuce, cabbage, celery, carrots, squash, parsley, mustard greens, dandelion leaves, watercress, apples, all berries, plums, prunes, grapes, raisins, dates, figs, and cherries.

I agree with Keren, what's the underlying cause of the anaemia?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep she had. Huge worm load all of a sudden. Ten mins After I gave her the shot herrespirations became fast and labored.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone! I know it wasn't a vein ( I am a phlebotomist) I may try the oral. We just moved yesterday and introduced them to a new home and an electric fence so I'm going to wait a week or so until the are a bit more settled

1 - 14 of 14 Posts