Ringwomb

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Abby Wootan, May 7, 2020.

1. Abby Wootan

Abby Wootan New Member

May 7, 2020
    Roseland LA
    Hi before I get started I just wanted to say I recently lost a goat to this and I think this is something people should be aware of when breeding goats. I also did some research before posting this. Also Happybleats here on the goat spot helped me find out what this was.

Ring-womb is best described as the failure of the cervix to dilate sufficiently while giving birth. Ring-womb is most commonly found in lambs and goats. Ring-womb is genetic and there is no real way to test for it. But it is most commonly transferred to the young if the mother has the gene and the father has the gene.
    The best known way to treat it in the action is to give the goat or lamb 10 cc Dexamethasone and wait two hours. At that time lubricate well, wear gloves and try to slowly dilate the cervix slowly.You may need to suture or temporarily sew the vagina shut as the lamb or goat may attempt to prolapse her uterus.Consider asking your vet if you should give the lamb or goat 10 to 15 cc of penicillin as well.
    Ring-womb causes difficult birthing, mainly in goats or lambs bearing multiple fetuses.
    Ring-womb is not associated with breed, age, or body condition score, but is associated with a significantly higher lambing percentage or number of kids born. Ring-womb has been observed in purebred and crossbred does.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
    happybleats likes this.
  2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    happybleats and CountyLineAcres like this.

3. Abby Wootan

Abby Wootan New Member

May 7, 2020
    Roseland LA
    That's probably why she died but the vet specialized in horses so she didn't do the C-section. But her cervix did not dilate at all (not the first time we had issues) but the good thing is that her babies are healthy.

toth boer goats and happybleats like this.