The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone give an opinion on our goat's diagnosis? We are raising the animal for our first project and bless his heart he has had crusty scabs around his ears, neck, head and body. We have been treating for ringworm with dewormer, bleach water and betadine baths, antifungal creams - going into our 4th week of daily care. I think it might be something else so he was started on penicillin as a precaution? but I dont know to what? any suggestions?? school vet suggests bad case of ringworm -

Attachments

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
It does not look like ring worm to me...its crusty looking and is it trailing down his hip or is that hair patches? I have not seen mites trail..I might try 3 injections of ivomec one week apart....its an uphill battle with mites..they are a pain to get rid of..clean his bedding and paddock area ..treat him with ivomec 1 cc per 40# sub Q and you can use an atopical powder or spray as well..
check him for anemia, I would also have a fecal done since a stressed goat is open game for over load...
B comoplex shot daily will help as well..
Maybe someone else has seen this and will chime in ..but this is my best guess from the pic : ) best wishes

·
Registered
72 Posts
Happybleats gave good advise. I would suspect Sarcoptes mites. They burrow into the skin and lay their eggs. which will hatch in about 3 to 5 days, producing 6 legged larva, which will leave their breeding tunnel and go to the skin, develope to the next stage, and then the process starts all over again, Ivermectin is your course of treatment, and antibacteria med.for any secondary sores. it will take sometime to totally rid goat.
if you can get a good scraping with maybe a little blood attached to hair you may be able to see under microscope, the Sarcoptic mite will have long pedicles without joints.
normally all animals carry mites, but their health keep them from having any problems, so your goat may be needing some vit. and just a note, this has been a really bad summer for this, there are many animals having issues with mites.goats, horses, dogs, ect.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts