RIP Annie Oakley and Jesse James

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by LuvmyGoaties, Feb 25, 2011.

1. LuvmyGoaties

LuvmyGoaties Member

Mar 8, 2010
    I got a call from my DH when I was on my way home from work today. Both of my goats were dead. Something got in pen and ripped their throats out. Whatever killed them didn't eat them or do any other damage, just ripped their throats out. My poor babies :cry: :cry: :cry: We had a big snow storm today and got about 18 inches of snow. I can see tracks going around the outside of their pen but due to the drifting snow can not make out what the tracks belonged to. Whatever killed them knew what it was doing. I feel so sad for them, especaily for whichever one was killed second. :cry: RIP my babies.

Jen

2. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

OH MY GOODNESS!!!

IM so sorry Jen :(

3. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    OH NO! I am so, so sorry. Poor babies -- that is so sad. Don't swell on it though; don't beat yourself up... big hugs

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    :hug: So very sorry :(

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I'm so sorry. I had a neighbor's dog get into our goat pen and kill a young doe. Got her in the throat and left her there. :(

You might want to set up a live trap or something along the goat pen so you can get rid of whatever killed the goats. That way it won't keep coming back. So sorry again for your loss.

6. iddybit acres

iddybit acres New Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Newberry, MI
    So sorry for your loss, i hope you catch what did it.

7. LuvmyGoaties

LuvmyGoaties Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Thanks everyone. One of the toughest things was having to tell my 3.5 year old son - we go the goats for him (actually he was my excuse to get the goats for me). We used to take long walks, me him and the goats. He is pretty sad and keeps asking "why".I e-maile the breeder that I got them from, she is just a couple miles from me. She thinks it was a dog. She had also offered to give me a couple wethers in the spring to replace them.

Jen

8. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

:tear: That is awful! I am so sorry! I hope you can figure out and take care of the problem.

9. figforest

figforest New Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Aww, that is so sad! I am sorry for your loss. Poor goaties.

10. tracyqh

tracyqh New Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Ohio
  11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  12. jodief100

jodief100 New Member

Jan 15, 2011
    My deepest sympathies. It is terrible. I agree it sounds like dogs. I suggesting finding out what it was and how they got in before you get more.

Live traps and snares might be a good idea.

13. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I am so sorry for your loss. How horrible.

I too would bet money it was dogs. They kill just to kill, coyotes will eat them. I feel so bad for your son.

That was really nice of the breeder to offer you new ones. :grouphug:

14. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Do you have a wildlife cam or can you borrow one from someone? Put it up facing the area the kill was made. They always come back. You will know without a doubt who and what did it. If it's a local dog and you can find the owner, make him pay for the goats. Show pictures and demand something be done about the dogs. If it's a stray. Send it to doggy heaven.

Hugs to you. I'm sorry for your loss. I hope the cam idea works and you get rid of the problem.

Gina

15. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    I'm so sorry... that is horrible. My heart goes out to you and the family. :hug:

16. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    I'm so sorry for your loss.

17. LuvmyGoaties

LuvmyGoaties Member

Mar 8, 2010
    My heart still aches. I can't stand the sight of their empty pen but will not get more until I can build a MUCH more secure pen. My breeder's babies will start coming at the end of this month and she won't let them go until they are 8 weeks old so I have about 12 weeks to get a pen built - the challenge is going to be the $$. I ahve priced out what I want to build and I am looking at $600-$700 which I don't have at this point. I am trying to sell some stuff to come up with the $$.

In talking to my breeder her first thought was dogs but after I described how they were killed she now thinks that it was a coyote that was interupted - the kills were so clean -they both had single bites to the throat with out a single other wound. She says that dogs usually make a much bigger mess.

Jen

18. bleatinghearts

bleatinghearts New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    I'm so sorry for your family. I know they will never be forgotten but giving a few wethers a nice family to live with might be positive for everyone. I recommend electric fence on the outside of your fence. It's works very well for me.