RIP Wyatt

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by TexasRanger, Feb 8, 2010.

1. TexasRanger

TexasRanger New Member

Feb 2, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    My little yearling Boar X, Wyatt, was euthed today. He somehow contracted a Deer Worm (here's an article about them for those who don't know about them:http://www.sheepandgoat.com/articles/deerworm.html
    He lost all use of his legs and body. He could no longer open his mouth to eat or drink. We decided it was best if we put him to sleep.
    [​IMG]

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    What a cutie, I'm so sorry you lost him. :hug: :(

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so sorry... for your loss...that is so sad.... :( :hug:

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I am also so sorry that you had to do that but it was the best thing for him. It shows how much you loved him. :hug: He is now running free in greener pastures

5. Such a nice little goat. I am sorry you had to go through that. Very sad.

To all do we have a thought on how we can prevent this? I know I have deer all around.

6. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    I have always believed granting dignity, peace, and freedom from pain is the greatest love.

I am sorry for your loss. :hug:

7. TexasRanger

TexasRanger New Member

Feb 2, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    On a site I looked at it said to reduce the contact that your goats could possibly have with dear, via deer proof fences, moving the goats away from wooded areas, etc. The worm is carried in snails which must be ingested by the goat and travel up to the brain to cause damage. It also mentions that recovery is going to be tough for the goat. They might end up with nerve/brain damage. I have also read where people had to give their goats physical therapy to get them walking again. Now I have a heard of four does and zero bucks :roll: , not including the soon to be wether that will be gone. I feel at times God is messing with me. I just sold the second buck and a doe and her buckling the morning he got sick. :GAAH:

8. I see, so in a way there is not much that can be done but prey. Well, that or start hunting in your yard so they stay away.