The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even e-car owners know that the price of gas has been going up in the US and Canada.
Average for US is now $5.00/gal ($3.25 - 6 months ago, $3.00 - 12 months ago, $2.10 - 18 months ago).

Prices in Canada are always higher.
Here on Vancouver Island we have the highest gas prices. Currently we pay 2.20 to 2.30 CAD $/litre. That is 6.60 to 6.90 USD $/gallon.

My question is: Have rising gas prices influenced you life? Are you changing plans for travel (long and/or short trips) because of fuel prices or are you basically continuing as before, just doing more griping about the prices? What changes have you made?

Personally, I have made no changes. We only do the bare minimum of travel - shopping for us and the animals is pretty much all the travel we do.. There is no room to cut down our gasoline use. But we do whine about the ever increasing prices and look for the best deals when we have to get gas.

Rectangle Azure Human body Slope Plot

·
Registered
524 Posts
Thankfully I work from home now and got all my traveling out when I was younger and in the Air Force! I tend to do one weekly errand run and that's about it. And thankfully I have a car and truck, which I only use the truck for truck stuff and the car for everything else. It's at least $5 here in western PA and I haven't noticed much of a drop in people's driving. I live near two state parks and there's no shortage of people hauling boats and kayaks to the parks.

I'm still looking for a bigger property, waiting on the housing market to cool down. I've noticed some slow down, prices are at asking or slightly under. Something has to give soon, right?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Something has to give soon, right?
I think that. A lot of people think that. But when I ponder it deeper I see no reason for "something to give". It may just be wishful thinking. We hope some natural (or supernatural) force will realign things. That may not be the case. Things can continue to decline.

I hear Gates is buying up farmland to the point that he is the biggest private land owner. Are other mega rich doing the same? For what reason? Obviously for money/power, but why not buy businesses, or office buildings?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Yeah, I've seen reports on the news about companies paying cash for houses and then renting them out. I talked to my realtor and he thought it was slowing down and might see more of a decrease in the fall. I like my place now, there's no rush to buy - I'm not getting into a bidding war and paying crazy above asking or forgoing the home inspection. Or buying a crappy place that needs a lot of work and then I have to worry about finding materials in stock and someone to do the work! My parents are getting older - they are lucky I love them - or I'd be moving across the border to Ohio - trying to stay within 1 hour of them, but just adding a half hour has a ton of great properties for great prices! Meh.

·
Super Moderator
62,873 Posts
I hear Gates is buying up farmland to the point that he is the biggest private land owner. Are other mega rich doing the same? For what reason? Obviously for money/power, but why not buy businesses, or office buildings?
Buying up all the farmland controls what the general population will eat.

·
Super Moderator
16,037 Posts
Yep he has fully admitted that is his plan. I don’t know about that guy.
I have a diesel truck so definitely feeling it and really wishing my last truck didn’t burn up. I was getting 25 mpg with it, and this is 15. Doesn’t seem like a much of a difference but boy is it!
No super huge changes on how much I drive because I only go out when I need to. If I don’t need the truck I will take the little car but that doesn’t happen often because also any shopping I do I try to mass buy so I won’t have to come back sooner. But I normally do that anyways because I detest dealing with other shoppers and people in general lol
It’s the price increase of everything in general that is linked to the high fuel prices though that has me changing a lot of things. I wanted some more of those feeders that are plastic with metal legs, like bunk feeders. Those have gone up almost $100. So I found water troughs that were on sale and bought that instead. I had ordered one of those multiple goat stands for the kids and their show goats. Just got a call that freight will be over $600, the stand it’s self is $700 so the kids can just tie their goats to the fence. We don’t need to be classy for that much money lol

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
as of today diesel is over $6 and regular is $5.55, there doesn't seem to be a reason to stop increasing. Its frustrating as everything is starting to go up because of the fuel.
My job is 25 miles away so i try to go to the store on my way home. I never go anywhere else as i cant afford it and only go out to get a pizza twice a year.
I wanted to go to the local goat show which is 65ish miles away, but its just too much $ that i dont need to spend. My "extra" money after bills is spent on mostly hay and then animal feed. Its starting to feel ridicules to spend such an amount for no return(other then seeing lovely goats and horses all day when im not working). I am not sure how many more years i can do it. My diet probably needs to get better ,but again i would rather spend the money on my animal feed. So yes the increase of fuel is noticeable to me.but i see many that drive big trucks and trailers all the time.

·
Registered
941 Posts
We are going camping next weekend and I’m already thinking about cost to fuel up both my pickup and our camping pickup. We are taking both so my older daughter, son in law, and grandson can park their car at our house and we’ll go up to our spot that’s a bit off the road.
Normally we just take the one pickup, we tent camp and just pull the trailer for hauling fire wood home.
My husband makes comments sometimes about how much it costs to go cut wood… but I remind him how much price has gone up on propane so we definitely want to use our wood stove in the winter. Also- if power goes out, the furnace won’t work anyway. Which is why we put in a stove to begin with. Lol

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
I have been trying to mimize trips to town for well over a year, so that hasn't changed much. I was concerned about hay prices, as I didn't know how much the rising fuel costs were going to drive them up. I am getting some round bales this year, instead of all squares, as they are cheaper. I have been able to pick up a couple part time jobs, so I'm not feeling too pinched yet. But sort of ragged, as keeping up with the farm work plus being gone several days a week is not easy. I got more serious about gardening this year, too. I think I really need to streamline some processes here around the farm to make maintenance less of an effort. Seems like we do so many things the hard way. But I am not the only one living here, so I can't just march about changing everything around.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I really need to streamline some processes here around the farm to make maintenance less of an effort. Seems like we do so many things the hard way. But I am not the only one living here, so I can't just march about changing everything around.
Hey, whenever you can find a way to work smarter instead of harder, just do it.

I was concerned about hay prices, as I didn't know how much the rising fuel costs were going to drive them up.
The guy that cuts my little plot of hay has already told me that his rates are going up due to fuel costs. So I have to pay more even for my own hay.

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
8,033 Posts
My hay price has almost doubled for round bales. Plus the gas price is so ridiculus its not even funny. Cost to make it hasnt increased that.much...just the greed has.
Check out air flights. Jet fuel has increased, so the prices of flights.have soared, so no customers, so lets cut flights...🤦‍♀️
I was driving 90 miles 1 way to work. I retired. Prices are ridiculus, and their is no sound reason behind it. Only greed.
Yes be prepared for the worst.

·
Premium Member
7,850 Posts
It’s getting tough here, we try to do everything we need in town in one trip. I had to buy an airline ticket and 2.5 years ago it was $350 round trip this ticket was $1000. That hurt. Hays gone up $8 a three string bale and I swear they’re smaller and lighter than even 6 months ago. Alfalfa pellets have gone up $6 a 50lb bag! OUCH!

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Well I started car pooling to work which basically still costs about the same as before thus craziness. I have always tried to limit outings when possible and I car pool to horse shows with my friend when helping her. If something doesn't give we may have to expand our car pool ring lol. Me and another coworker live 8 minutes apart but have basically an hour drive one way to work. It's the only deaf school in our area so it's not like we can work else where lol. I have always saved heirloom seeds so if things get too crazy fingers crossed. America could feed the whole planet if farmers where allows and able to grow everything we need.

·
Registered
941 Posts
America could feed the whole planet if farmers where allows and able to grow everything we need.
Here in ID all of the best fertile farming ground is going for new subdivisions. Constantly new ones being built.
I can’t stand driving into Boise/meridian/nampa area anymore. So much traffic these days…
I constantly get calls/texts asking me if I want to sell my house. I tell them if I wanted to sell, it would be listed for sale. Go look for listed houses instead of bugging people.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Here in ID all of the best fertile farming ground is going for new subdivisions. Constantly new ones being built.
I can’t stand driving into Boise/meridian/nampa area anymore. So much traffic these days…
I constantly get calls/texts asking me if I want to sell my house. I tell them if I wanted to sell, it would be listed for sale. Go look for listed houses instead of bugging people.
I do worry about all the farm lands being sold but around here we still have a lot but mostly okra and corn is grown here. I know several farmers had been paid to not grow thing a on their land which I thought was very odd.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
The super rich, like Gates, buying up all the farmland scares me. I remember learning about the God Complex in college and it’s all I can think of now when I hear this stuff. Anyhoo, the gas prices hurt for sure. My husband travels all over for work (in the last few months he’s been to VA, NJ, OH, CO and a few other places I can’t remember). He gets paid mileage but it’s only adjusted periodically and the last adjustment was a while ago and now it’s not covering his fuel. So frustrating. I only leave the house when I need to. But I still have to run the tractor, mowers, generator, and chainsaws and such. We use the tractor nearly every day, so even when we’re staying home, the rising fuel costs are still gouging away at the budget. The prices haven’t changed what we do day to day, just made it a bit more painful to the pocketbook, but it is already derailing future plans we had to visit family and for family to visit here. So that’s a bummer.

·
Super Moderator
35,078 Posts
Fuel prices sure have effected us in many ways. I have a diesel 350 with 2 tanks. We top off the back tank every time we go to town to keep from having to fill up both tanks off empty! I stay home most days and only go to town normally once a week or every 2 weeks for everything at once! Its crazy.

·
Super Moderator
35,078 Posts
And lawn mowers...

1 - 20 of 112 Posts