The Goat Spot Forum banner
41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
8,010 Posts
Well America was on top of all this destructive economy, well we all know what happened to that. Yes we are watching large ranches dump any unnecessary livestock,to get what they can for the remaining animals. It will be a rough 3 years,hopefully we grow a higher I.Q., and become honest. That way we can have an actual leader improve the economy.

·
Registered
Soon to have goats and pigs, and currently have chickens and rabbits
91 Posts
Luckily, I am retired and my husband is disabled so we don't travel. Most everything we need is within a few miles of us. the farthest distance is our doctors about 30 miles away. It used to take $20 dollars to fill my car, and about $55 to fill the diesel truck. Now it costs $40 to fill my car and I have no idea what it costs to fill the truck because we rarely use it. We are fortunate that our grocery store sells gas and we get fuel points when we buy groceries so that can save us quite a bit for fuel.
My biggest problem now is the cost of everything else. Just getting started with goats and pigs, the cost of fencing and lumber is outrageous. Part of me says forget it for now, but the alternative is not being able to afford meat and milk. So, I just need to bite te bullet and just do it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thank you Mike. I will be watching closely. 🙂

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
"WASHINGTON, June 15 (Reuters) - U.S. retail sales unexpectedly fell in May as motor vehicle purchases declined amid rampant shortages, and record high gasoline prices pulled spending away from other goods. "

That was in May, back when gas prices were only atrocious, averaging $4.439(USD) per gallon.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I was just searching Lowe's website and I am excited. A 2x4x8 is $5.48 (USD) for Hemlock Fir. However, much of the other types of lumber is unavailable. Plywood is still out of sight.

·
Super Moderator
16,032 Posts
Sadly when things sky rocket that bad they don’t tend to drastically ever come back down……for consumers. I don’t think we will ever see those low lumber prices again. And I know in California we are flooding the market with lumber with the burned trees we have. Last I heard they have told the loggers to stop bringing anything in until they can move what they have. And yet prices are still sky high. And here in California we pay a lumber tax on top of the high price. My dad has a old mill, we tried to fix it up. I can’t remember what part we needed but of course it’s a part that they don’t make any more

·
Super Moderator
35,044 Posts
My husband is a car transporter for a local dealership. For a while he was going to other states to pick up used cars because things here were so lean. Now even that is lean pickings I guess. He has had a few more days off we aren't used to...means I can get some work out if him here lol.

41 - 60 of 100 Posts