The Goat Spot Forum banner
61 - 80 of 100 Posts

Registered
Goats and Chickens
To save gas, I left part of my yard grow wild. I bought a scythe and cut it by hand and then baled it by hand. My goats love it and I saved money on gas by not cutting with my tractor at least 4 times I had cut the rest of my yard. I also stopped cutting part of my side field too, but I am not planning on baleing that. I also scored a work from home job, since my old job was 70 miles away one way.
My husband is very calculated on how far we travel for car parts or whatever, and takes the gas prices into consideration. We only have large vehicles (diesel trucks and my full size Yukon) so going anywhere takes a bit of gas.
It sucks because a year ago, fuel prices never crossed my mind, but now we have to consider it before going to visit our family or even go to the store 馃槖

Registered
To save gas, I left part of my yard grow wild. I bought a scythe and cut it by hand and then baled it by hand. My goats love it and I saved money on gas by not cutting with my tractor at least 4 times I had cut the rest of my yard. I also stopped cutting part of my side field too, but I am not planning on baleing that. I also scored a work from home job, since my old job was 70 miles away one way.
My husband is very calculated on how far we travel for car parts or whatever, and takes the gas prices into consideration. We only have large vehicles (diesel trucks and my full size Yukon) so going anywhere takes a bit of gas.
It sucks because a year ago, fuel prices never crossed my mind, but now we have to consider it before going to visit our family or even go to the store 馃槖
We had one year many years ago that it was so hard to find hay. When I visited my husband's grandparents I had a butcher knife and cut the tall grass down near the river banks and took it home to the goats. They loved it but wasn't ideal. Glad the hand cutting is working for you. Hang in there.

Registered
I am seriiusly considering building a wagon and getting two donkeys. It is cheaper to feed working animals than owning a car at the moment. I drive a fuel efficient duahatsu and even that is not even helping.
Donkey power it is!

Super Moderator
I decided I鈥檒l go ahead and keep paying the high price for diesel even with the less then stellar fuel mileage. I had my two mirrors up, which gives me a blind spot and I didn鈥檛 see this poor little car when I was pulling out and slammed into her. All it did was leave some black on my bumper and scuff my two hitch up a little and the little car didn鈥檛 take it so well. Gosh I can鈥檛 even imagine how bad it would have been if it was at high speed. So I鈥檒l pick safe and expensive
Car Tire Vehicle Grille Hood

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Registered
Goats and Chickens
Yesterday, I put $65.00 in my suburban and it only hit the half way full mark鈥he sad part is I was at a quarter tank when I started filling. It would have been $150 easily if I filled it. Luckily I only use it once a week to pick up feed and such. This really stinks.
Same here. I put $125 in my Yukon and it was 3/4 full. The gas station actually cuts you off at $125 馃槙

Registered
Goats and Chickens
We had one year many years ago that it was so hard to find hay. When I visited my husband's grandparents I had a butcher knife and cut the tall grass down near the river banks and took it home to the goats. They loved it but wasn't ideal. Glad the hand cutting is working for you. Hang in there.
Yeah, we couldnt find hay close by this past January. I had to buy the 2 LARGE bales (like 500lbs each) so they would be delivered. The goats ate through 1, but the other has gone to waste since we couldnt store it properly. Its now bedding and "mulch" around my flowers :(

Registered
Same here. I put $125 in my Yukon and it was 3/4 full. The gas station actually cuts you off at $125 馃槙
My husband said something about his fuel getting cut off prior to getting tank filled. I dont remember what at but I think it was only $80 or something. He just had to put his card in again and do another transaction.
I haven鈥檛 had mine cut off yet so just be certain stations 馃し馃徏鈥嶁檧锔

Registered
Goats and Chickens
My husband said something about his fuel getting cut off prior to getting tank filled. I dont remember what at but I think it was only $80 or something. He just had to put his card in again and do another transaction.
I haven鈥檛 had mine cut off yet so just be certain stations 馃し馃徏鈥嶁檧锔
If I run my card again, the machine says "See Cashier"... Ain't No Body Got Time Fo Dat. So I just leave :ROFLMAO:

Registered
So much here. But as I have stated many times; I am old! So this has put me in mind of when we were traveling to Texas and were freaked out because gas had hit .......................wait for it........................

45 CENTS a gallon. (Of course, the DH was making $3.75 an hour.)

As to safety; I agree. Our " baby" SUV was totaled by a drunk driver. We bought a small car and I was so terrified we traded it in on a full sized SUV and pay the price for gas. I like big.馃殮

We will be taking the RV from CA to Michigan in August. It will HURT!!!! I will pay extra on my credit card before we leave so we don't have collective coronaries when we get the bill.
(At least we will rack up some Disney Rewards for our February trip to Disneyland馃コ).

Registered
I decided I鈥檒l go ahead and keep paying the high price for diesel even with the less then stellar fuel mileage. I had my two mirrors up, which gives me a blind spot and I didn鈥檛 see this poor little car when I was pulling out and slammed into her. All it did was leave some black on my bumper and scuff my two hitch up a little and the little car didn鈥檛 take it so well. Gosh I can鈥檛 even imagine how bad it would have been if it was at high speed. So I鈥檒l pick safe and expensive View attachment 231756
View attachment 231757
Oh no so sorry. But everyone is ok right? That's what matters.

Registered
Yesterday, I put $65.00 in my suburban and it only hit the half way full mark鈥he sad part is I was at a quarter tank when I started filling. It would have been $150 easily if I filled it. Luckily I only use it once a week to pick up feed and such. This really stinks.
Maybe back up to the pump so the SUV won't faint from seeing the prices.

Registered
Yeah, we couldnt find hay close by this past January. I had to buy the 2 LARGE bales (like 500lbs each) so they would be delivered. The goats ate through 1, but the other has gone to waste since we couldnt store it properly. Its now bedding and "mulch" around my flowers :(
So Sorry about the waste. I feel this year will be bad for hay again too. Unfortunately.

61 - 80 of 100 Posts