The Goat Spot Forum banner
81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Fuel prices sure have effected us in many ways. I have a diesel 350 with 2 tanks. We top off the back tank every time we go to town to keep from having to fill up both tanks off empty! I stay home most days and only go to town normally once a week or every 2 weeks for everything at once! Its crazy.
we are all in the same boat. Problem is, too much in the same boat will either sink or capsize is. Either way we loose.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
So much here. But as I have stated many times; I am old! So this has put me in mind of when we were traveling to Texas and were freaked out because gas had hit .......................wait for it........................

45 CENTS a gallon. (Of course, the DH was making $3.75 an hour.)

As to safety; I agree. Our " baby" SUV was totaled by a drunk driver. We bought a small car and I was so terrified we traded it in on a full sized SUV and pay the price for gas. I like big.🚚

We will be taking the RV from CA to Michigan in August. It will HURT!!!! I will pay extra on my credit card before we leave so we don't have collective coronaries when we get the bill.
(At least we will rack up some Disney Rewards for our February trip to Disneyland🥳).
---- just transport some small livestock--- that might help with the expense :)

·
Registered
868 Posts
That is awesome. I remember years ago loading some free wood. We ran into a friend who seemed totally surprised that our kids were helping.
I was like, "They want to stay warm too."
I think ours got ice cream after.
They got plenty of treats while camping too… they once said their favorite part of camping is all the junk food 🤣
They don’t normally get much on a regular basis so camping is quite a bit more chips/s’mores/ pop tarts toasted on grate by fire/hot cocoa … all the sugars. Lol

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
6,400 Posts
Anyone have any educated guesses on whether gas prices are going to continue to rise over the course of next year or if they will go down? Asking because I'm going to be getting a buck either soon or next year and I'm wondering if the travel prices would be more favorable if I wait.

·
Registered
Raising Nigerian Dwarf goats as backyard milkers.
2,542 Posts
Anyone have any educated guesses on whether gas prices are going to continue to rise over the course of next year or if they will go down? Asking because I'm going to be getting a buck either soon or next year and I'm wondering if the travel prices would be more favorable if I wait.
My brother says it’s just going to go up even more. Like I told Goatastic43 about buying more books than I can read, I buy them now and have them ready because the prices will go up with inflation Lol Myself being so hopeful though, I really want to think the prices will go down and everything will be “normal” again.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I think we are probably stuck with them next cpl years. Administration isn’t removing their new regulations for drilling and even if elections go well this fall, they will probably veto any attempts to remove.
I know they are stating they want the greedy companies to do more; but they are the ones who put the regulations there to make it harder.
Maybe in 3 years…

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
The US is still restricted on refining capacity.
Companies cut way back during the 1st year of covid, and production was slowed due to less demand.
A lot of contract workers were let go, lots of projects were delayed or cancelled.
Do you remember the oil price crash that reduced demand in 2020 (covid caused)? When crude prices dropped to negative values?
This is oil companies recovering their losses.
During the crash, at least one big oil company actually borrowed money to not have to reduce stockholder dividends.
Now we have high demand, compounded by the Ukraine war oil supply issues.
So in the US we have oil companies making incredibly high profits, high dividends being paid out to stockholders and ambitious stock buy-back programs.
This gives the oil companies little reason to do anything to reduce prices. THe US Gov't could step in but big oil has big protections & big pockets.
The normal market fluctuations should let prices at least level out but there are some other issues.
Recent interest rate changes causing big losses to lump-sum retirement rates, driving a wave of retirements.
Although the companies are hiring like crazy, it takes at least 1-2 years to train refinery operations personnel to just the basic, assistant operator level.
Major changes in the rest of the world's supply, shipping backlogs (we tanker in a lot of cheap sour crude oil, selling our sweeter, higher quality to other countries)
Right now, drilling doesn't really have anything to do with gasoline supply.
Any big hurricanes this summer will also kick prices higher.
This is not rumor nor innuendo. Guess where I just retired from...
Happy to discuss. This is not political, it is economics.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I, literally, just retired on May 31, 2022, after 31 years in one of the US largest oil refineries.
I was there for the $, not because it's a healthy lifestyle or place to work.
It's not about drill, drill, drill...it's about aging refineries and aging infrastructure being run at its limits.
We have oil, but due to all the Not-In-My-Backyard in the US, there are no new refineries being built.
No one wants the air issues, the water issues, the contaminated soil...the noise...the industrial issues nearby.
Technology is allowing better use of existing resources. Each molecule of crude is split & used in so many ways, we have almost no waste of the oil.
Engineering and material science has been allowing stacking of equipment instead of spreading it out,
Each process line piggybacks on another. It's really pretty amazing.
But with no new refineries, only so much ramping up of production is possible.
Most of what we drill out is sold outside the US to other countries to use in their refineries.
In the 80's & 90's most US refineries were reconfigured to take advantage of the super cheap sour crude from Mexico & South America.
We actually turned the excess sulphur stripped from that crude oil into a marketable product -- no longer a waste stream.

81 - 100 of 100 Posts