Risk of sunburn?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by TexasRanger, Oct 22, 2010.

1. TexasRanger

TexasRanger New Member

Feb 2, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Ari, DOB:10/10, has no pigment on much of her tail. The fur on her tail is pure white and you can see the skin underneath at times. Like with light skinned horses, do you think there's a risk of her getting burned on her little tail? I've never owned a goat with a "pink" tail before.

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Yep. She sure can. Now hopefully by next summer before it gets bad she will have a little mor ehair and it will fill in.

3. TexasRanger

TexasRanger New Member

Feb 2, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Oh, the hair's already starting to fill in. It's just the underside that's bothering me. Should I put something on it during the summer? Lotion or something?

4. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

My friends goat was all white, she got skin cancer and is going to be put down soon. But she didnt have good shelter in the summer

Her last baby was all white though too, they put lotion on her and make sure she always has shade

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You are going to have to watch it closely....and put suntan lotion the highest rated one.. you can find .... to help prevent sun exposer....also as mentioned.... make sure there is access to shade.... hopefully the hair will grow in more and will be better protected.... good luck.... :hug:

6. TexasRanger

TexasRanger New Member

Feb 2, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    That's so sad about your friend's goat, RIP :( . How old was she? The pen she is in now has three different shelters, two igloos and a board between them to create a third. Plus she is in the shade from several trees and the roof overhang. In the main pasture they have the shade from trees, two shelters (shed and lean-to), plus the overhang from the garage.