Risky Pregnancy-Best Case Scenario! Pics Soon!

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Nupine, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    As some of you know, our Alpine doe Hannah with severe dry mastitis was bred. Yesterday she was on day 148[I think, numbers confuse me :p ]. Well, I was watching CSI with my mom last night at about 9:00. I decided to blow away a few minutes, miss some CSI, and go check on Daisy, who was on day 150, and has been showing signs for a week and a half. I walk in the stall with Daisy, nothing going on with her. So I peek in at the stall next door where Stella and Hannah are. I see Hannah laying down, goo on the bedding, and feet sticking out! :leap: So I rush and check on her, go get mom, move Stella in with Daisy, get towels, flashlight, etc. I was very surprised, just 4 hours before this, I noticed she had lost her appetite, so I took her out, made her jump on the stanchion, poked her with some Vitamin B12, and trimmed her feet because they looked a little long! I feel so bad, I wouldn't have done that if I would have known. She was not swollen one bit, she had her ligs, wasn't sunken in, wasn't pawing, nothing. Well, back to the birth. She had a somewhat hard labor, lots of loud screaming. At first all I saw was one foot, I got scared, then I saw 2 feet and no head, very scared. This was only my 3rd kidding. Then I see a little nose. :pray: She gets down to some hard pushing. Out pops a kid! The whole thing took about 20 minutes. Looks just like Hannah, chamiose[sp?]! I try and check the gender but it is so gooey I have to keep cleaning. I try again. IT'S A GIRL!!!!!!!!!! :girl: :dance: :leap: :cool: :p :lol: :clap: :angel: :love: :wave: :party: YAAHH!!!!!!!!!! She is the most adorable thing ever! We left the cutie with Hannah for the night. Bt after talking to the buck's owner, we decide it is time for a seperation. I REALLY wanted a bottle baby this year, I wanted her to be friendly, which I have found is hard to do with non bottle fed Alpines, and Hannah's udder doesn't look very good. So I cleaned up a chicken pen. [It is a very safe, 4'x3' tall pen in the garage, which will house the cutie for a few days.] Took the two chicken tenants out and moved then, cleaned out the chicken poo and bedding and put a bunch of straw in there. So then came the hard part. Hannah's teat is leaking, so I can't put another doe in the stall to keep her company. So we took our wether, Simon who is her best friend, put him in the stall, gave Hannah a bunch of grain, and I snach the little cutie. I felt bad, but it was best for me, mom, and baby. Baby is content in her chicken pen, she is not enjoying the bottle too much, but with a little coaxing, is getting better. We are certainly keeping this one. Haven't thought of a name yet though. Between our two kiddings, this one and the one from Daisy last year, we got 3 does and 0 bucks! We are on Cloud 9! That probably cursed us with bucks though. :cry: Her back legs are a little crokked, but that is getting better. We have two more does left this year. I will post pics tonight. I will also enter her in the Kutest Kid Kontest. Hannah completly forgot about the baby, the only unhappy one is Simon, he isn't enjoying ''Jail in the Kidding Pen''. :p
    Ashlyn

2. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    That's really good- Congratulations on the kids- pictures of course are needed asap!

3. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Girls! I want girls too! Congrats, can't wait for pics! Sounds like you are getting good at this birthing thing!

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
  5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    congratulations on the new girl.

How are you treating Hannahs udder? is it better then you expected it to be?

Which one is the doe with CAE?

6. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Thanks! I tried 20 times to get the internet going on my computer yesterday, but it wouldn't go. It is stupid. I have to get on in the morning, but now I am at the library. They will be coming soon though. Nellie, who isn't bred, is the CAE doe. Could the mastitis hurt Simon? I haven't really treated Hannah much yet, I don't want to stress her real bad. I have been milking her twice a day, The one side looks like a normal udder, but I need work on the other side. I washed it down too. She did some crying today, poor girl. She is eating great though. I might pick up some mastitis tubes today. The baby is doing great, and is a piglet! She is eating 8 oz. about 6 times a day and wants more! She is only 36 hours old, is this hurting her? I am still waiting for the other two girls. I got breeding dates mixed up, but Daisy is on 152 and Stella 144. Stella's udder is HUGE! It looks really big, firm, and well shaped. She has great rear udder attachments. She is a 14 month old, 5/8 boer, 90 pound goat, but she will be a great milker. I hope Daisy kids today, tomorrow I have a poultry show and I am anything but prepared.
    Ashlyn

7. cjpup

cjpup New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    TX
    How about Cloud for a name? or Nueve? LOL!!!
    CJ

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    No the mastitis won't hurt Simon. I just couldn't remember all their names and which doe had what so I was asking.

9. Suellen

Suellen New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Paragonah, Utah
    Congrats! Looking forward to the pictures of your little darling. Suellen

10. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Sorry no pics yet, hopefully tomorrow. Been very busy, poulrty show today, and MORE kids yesterday!!!!!!!!!! Stella had doe/buck twins!!!!!!!!!! Stella is 5/8 boer, 1/4 saanen, 1/8 lamancha/alpine and the breeding buck is purebred nubian. The kids are so unusual looking. The little doe looks somewhat like a black headed boer with long, frosted ears, and a large blaze, with a spot on her front leg, she is tiny. The buck is even cuter, black head, some spots, cream legs, black thighs in the back, frosted ears, etc. He is larger and super cute! Both have waddles like their momma! Stella has given us a beautiful udder, except her extra teat which thankfully her doe kid lacks. The buck has spots on his waddles! They are so cute, and were born last night. Both are healthy. The buck is polled like his daddy and the doe has very quickly growing horns. Not sure if we are keeping either of them, if not they are probably going to our friend, a really nice mother of 2 who has a heated barn for her horses she very rarely rides, etc., so I am sure they would be well taken care of. When can the babies get their first wormer? And what kind? Piccies soon!! Stella was on day 144 when she kidded and Daisy is on day 153 I think and still hasn't went. Hmmmm.
    Ashlyn

11. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!! They sound adorable. As far as worming them, if you wormed their moms in the last 2 weeks to a month, you won't need to worm the kids for at least 2 weeks. If moms haven't been wormed and they are raising their kids then worm the does as the kids will get it thru the milk when they nurse. I alternate between Safeguard and I vermectin.

12. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Hi again. Haven't been here lately.
    We currently have:
    Heidi-the Alpine Doe out of Hannah
    Stewey and Shindig-Mutts out of Stella-Buck/Doe
    Blue and Bella-Buck and doe out of Daisy- Blue is blue roan and Bella is tan
    We may keep them all, or just Heidi and Stewey.
    I hope to maybe stop breeding my goats because I can't sell the excess kids for meat. I might just keep them for pets and pack and draft. We almost lost Heidi. This is a great site Stacy.
    Ashlyn

13. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    A ww, Ashlyn, you must be pretty busy with all those kids! Please tell us more about the experience you had with the young baby. I know that anything can happen when dealing with babies and I'm sure no harm was meant by anyone here. I do a preventive worming 4 x a year, or just 3 depending on how wet it is. I do hope you will continue to visit us and plz, let us know what happened w/ your kid. :?

14. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    OMG!!!!!!!!!! My stupid cousin got my username and password by my desk and posted that I might leave and all this other crap!! She is evil!!! She has 2 goats and browses here sometimes and sees my posts. I am not leaving. I have been so busy lately!! With my new horse, 4-H is starting up, the babies, and everything else. Here is Heidi's story. She was given a little wormer on 3/29 because that is what I read or something. On Sunday night she was acting all weird and we knew something was wrong. She could hardly walk, was super hungry, her head was hanging down, dialated pupils. So we had our goat ''mentor'' out who is next to a vet with goat medicine. She explained that Ivermectrin goes through the blood brain barrier and was making her head swell, so she gave her anti inflamatory, etc. I am busy right now, so I can't go into huge detail. She gave her some other stuff and by the next day she was back to normal. She is growing like a weed! Big baby! I am considering stopping breeding my goats because of the time involved and because if i don't slow down a bunch or stop I will end up with 1000 zillion goats. I currently have f I bred everyone who is breedable next year I would 20+ babies. That isn't cool. It is if you can keep them all and don't have to do all the work.
    Ashlyn

15. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    That's better. :cool: :leap:

16. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ok stepping in here, I am a bit confused and if your cousin (whoever you/she is) will please just stop using her account I will greatly appreciate it. Now back to enjoying talking about goats.