Romeo has uveitis, have any of you dealt with this?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Anna, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Anna

Anna New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Fayette, AL
    My little month old bottle baby came down with a red cloudy eye, waited it out a few days he acted completely normal his usual cute and happy self. His eye got a lot worse though, to the point that it no longer even looked like an eye... it was terrible. Took him to the vet (he loves riding in the car, lol). Dyed it, couldn't find any ulcers or signs of trauma. So we went to digging in manuals (my vet is WONDERFUL, btw). Well, we came across Uveitis which is pretty common in horses. She gave me neomycin/polymyxin b sulfates/ dexamethasone(steriod) drops that she uses with her horse patients. In just a day it has gotten so much better, but he will likely always be blind. From what I understand uvietis patients may be able to see light and shadows though. The other thing is he may have flare ups of this the rest of his life. Thank goodnes his other eye is perfect. Have you guys ever dealt with uveitis or a goat blind in one eye? He can't see anything on that side bless his heart. *sighs* that's going to make it hard to find him a home now that he is a special needs goatie.

I think this is God's way of saying he needs to stay with me. :wink: I'm to attached.

2. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Not pinkeye? That is really common in goats and is treatable. Was this something different?

3. Anna

Anna New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Fayette, AL
    No, we know it wasn't pink eye, it was completely different than this. My whole herd and my self would have had it too by now. lol. This is an infection of just the eye, not really the tissues around it. I wish I would I have gotten a pic of it.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    no never heard of it. Thats wonderful that you found a treatment.

As to his life from here on out ---- goats do adapt and since he is young he will learn to live with his handicap quite well and soon you won't even notice that he is blind in that eye. Sometimes handicaps can make them more marketable or the other way around. I hope the right person comes along so you can feel comfortable letting him go, or that you get to keep him.

5. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    My old mare gets an eye issue at least once a year. Vet called it recurring uveitis. I give her banamine paste and BNP ointment and atropine to relax the eye. If I treat her she is better in a day, if I don't the eyelid swells up like a baseball. The horse is very good about me treating it.
    Sorry to hear your goat has it, hope it becomes as easy to treat as my mare if it happens again.

moon blindness: a disease of the uvea (the colored iris) inside the
    eyeball. The uvea becomes inflamed (uveitis), which causes its muscles to
    spasm, thereby constricting the pupil. Eye pain from uveitis is severe and
    can cause squinting, tearing, excessive blinking and dangerous eye rubbing
    (increasing the risk of eye trauma). If not resolved, uveitis can result
    in permanent blindness. Treatment can include topical and systemic
    medication to relieve pain and inflammation, relax the spasming and combat
    possible infection.