Rookie Mistake

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by ArcticGoats, Jan 6, 2009.

1. ArcticGoats

ArcticGoats New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Hi All -

Well, I wanted to tell you about my great heated water bucket - but that led me to thinking about how I got it. It gets winter here by October - so I work full time and thought, well, I'd better get a heated bucket so I won't have to worry about water for my goats - winter is L O N G (and cold) here. So I went to the feed store and bought a nice big blue plastic bucket for about $45. It was so great, pretty and blue and shiny. It was cracked in less than a week. The plastic was too hard and the goats too rough! So, I mail ordered a black rubbery one from Nasco - its just a 5 gallon pail with a heater inserted in the bottom with a plastic protector and its worked great (touch wood) so far! And its been on constantly since early October.

Anyway, I'm sure thats not the first or last mistake I've made - but thought it would be interesting (and I might learn something too :doh: ) to here others stories....so what's yours?

2. DopeyOpie

DopeyOpie New Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Canada
    I use one of those heated buckets for my boys actually. I learned last year not to just sit it free in their pen though... Opie yanked the cord from the socket and destroyed it! This year I got a new one and have it outside of the barn with the cord going through the fence, connected to an extension cord, and plugged into a vacant (from animals) barn. I also have an empty small wooden crate that I attached to the fence and I have the bucket sitting in that. That way they can't tip it and beat it up. So far, so good!

That being said, my first rookie mistake was not getting educated before I got Opie - a buck - as a pet. I love him dearly, but he IS a buck and DOES have attitude sometimes lol.

3. ArcticGoats

ArcticGoats New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Hey - that's cool that it worked for you - you were smart to build a box around it. I was afraid they might use a box to jump over the fence...anyway, I should build something around the bucket I have just to insulate it....

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    i had the plastic ones crack too, the water leaked out and froze the gate shut! i think it took less than an hour, but took me an hour and half to chip out the gate. :hair: so i only use the rubber ones. make sure the cord had the metal wore over the cord, mine like to chew!

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    that would of been alot of work chipping it away....in the brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....