Rosie Kidded! - Pics Added!

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by capriola-nd, Mar 22, 2009.

1. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    So, is there a certain amount of time to wait while the doe is in "pre-labor?" I never really worried about it because each doe is different and each delivery is different. But is there a certain amount of time that is typical or a length of time you should start worrying?

Oh, by "pre-labor" I mean not pushing but kind of nesting, pawing, maybe a small, small contraction every now and then. Not hard pushing, I know how long to wait then. ;)

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Re: How Long to Wait??

I have noticed with my does, that they start pawing, laying down, etc. about 4 to 8 hours before getting down to business. But i'm not sure if there is an exact time frame. :shrug:

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

some start that days before kidding. But if it doesnt progress after a full day I get worried.

4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon

So, if that were to happen, what would you do?? You can't go in, right? Cervix has to be dilated for that, right? One of the main reasons I am asking is that Rosie started kind of pre-labor today, around noon and is not pushing yet. . . I just want it all to be okay for her. . . this is the LAST time I ever breed her, just want her to be okay. She does not look distressed or in pain - eating cud, has been nibbling on hay, and standing up.

So, I can call the emergency kidding numbers if needed? I would feel so bad to wake someone up. . .

*Oh, forgot to add that it's Pacific time, so about 7:40 now. She's been acting like this about 7 hours.

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA

Oh, I wouldn't worry about her. That's not uncommon. I would only worry if she starts aggressively pushing and there is nothing to show for it after 30 minutes.

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

If you are really worried you CAN go in. I did on Ghost. She laid down and gave a nice push then got up like nothing was wrong and waited another couple of hours to kid. When she did that I went in two fingers to tell if she was dilated and how open she was. I could tell she wasn't open enough yet so I left her alone until she did get down to business.

When it comes to kidding I say to listen to your gut feeling. If you feel something is wrong then it probably is.

My number is good. I'm up tonight, can't sleep at all. grrr

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

yes do call if you feel concerned at all! I will have my phone by my bed.

More then likely she is just uncomfortable and going to drag it out.

As RunAround said you can check her with 2 fingers to see if she is dialated. I had a friend do this and found a kid stuck in the birth canal - the doe was not pushing or anything but the baby was right there.

8. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

Very True! Ghost dragged it out for over 12 hours! But she was a FF. :ZZZ:

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

Olivia,

I am also up and around if you need me and I am in the same time zone! I am also up at 4:30 am to get barn chores done and on my way to work.

If you call and I don't answer, leave a message and I will call right back - I don't typically answer calls I do not know, but I will listen to the message and call you back!

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

She's likely just getting to be uncomfortable....Binky did that same thing to me just a week ago! I noticed her being different on Saturday morning, but she continued with her normal goatie things...I was even setting the alarm to check on her every 2 hours. She finally started contracting hard around 11 on Sunday morning and yes I was scared as she would push and walk away, when I finally figured that she wasn't ready yet, she decided that she was going to get down to business out in their yard NOT! I got her up and going back to the nice clean kidding stall and thats when her water broke...her doeling arrived at 11:35.

I'm sure that Rosie is just feeling "ready" and will give you those babies soon.

11. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia

Just wanted to add:

I've had a few does that dont seem to progress from the stage of up down, up down, pawing and nesting and maa-ing.

The first one I thought was just dragging it out (FF), about 8 hrs later I went in she had the first triplet stuck and dead, next trippie came out weak and died later, the third was okay.

The second one was a 5 yr old doe, shortly after the first so it was fresh in my mind. Checked after 3 hrs and she had the kid upside down with the head back, managed to get him turned and out okay. Single huuuuuuge buck looked about 6 wks old.

Third one was Charlotte the harlot, about a year later and I'd sort of put the others out of my mind. Intervened at about 4 hrs and yep, twins coming together with a ruptured uterus.

I'm not wanting to alarm you here, just wanting to point out that sometimes they wont go from stage 1 to stage 2 for a reason.

12. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007

I have had a doe not progress to proper straining etc - I inserted 2 fingers and could feel 4 hooves right there, which is why she wasn't pushing etc. The baby (uh, both babies) were right there in the birth canal but neither could be born because they were coming at once. This was at 2 a.m. and she started the pre-labour stuff at 4pm the previous afternoon.

So if I were you I would just insert 1 or 2 fingers just to see if anything is there.

LW

13. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

How is Rosie doing Olivia?

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

Do we have babies yet?

15. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon

YEP!! :stars: She kidded around 8:30am with triplets! Two does and a buck! One doe was stillborn though. . . :( Much smaller than the rest. :( Rosie did it all by herself too!

I'll try to get pics later today. The other girl is caramel, like her daddy, and the boy is black. No brownies. :( But I am soooo happy she did it all by herself!! It happened sooo fast! My brother fed this morning around 7:30 - no pushing, same. So, I called the vet and we were going to take her in, I just didn't want to risk anything. Got the crate together and went to get Rosie out of her stall and she was almost done! :greengrin:

16. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Re: Rosie Kidded!

Congratulations. That is great. I am sorry about the other one you lost, but at least you have tow healthy babies.

I bet she heard you calling the vet and thought "well I do not want to go for a ride so, ok, I will get down to business. I believe she was trying to see how crazy she can make you, Silly goat. :leap:

17. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Thats wonderful news! :stars:

Congrats on the :girl: :boy:

:hug: sorry about the third :hug:

18. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

congrats.... :leap:

but... I am sorry for the loss.. :(

19. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC

Glad she gave you two healthy kids! Sorry about the third but at least you didn't need that vet trip after all. :hug:

20. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon

This is great great news!!! :cool: Can't wait to see them!!
    Did I mention...can't wait to see them..... :shades:
    I am so glad for you dearie!! And Rosie!! :stars: