The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I am in the process of purchasing 3.2 acres. Almost 3 acres will be fenced, one part in the front, and one lot in the back. The back lot is bigger, the front is small and mainly will be for my pygmies, and young kids... I am wanting to divide the back lot into 3 separate lots. So I can rotate every 21 days to help cut down on worms. So here are my questions :)

1. Can rotated pastures share a fence line, or does this defeat the purpose of worm control?
2. Can young kids, and pygmies be in a lot with an "orchard" in it, there are 10 apple trees, I won't be using them for myself but don't want to kill them because I would like to feed them to my horses. I figured pygmies and kids wouldn't do as much damage to the trees as full grown adults. Oh and what about old grape vines?
3. Is three pastures enough ? I plan to rotate every 21 days. I have 6 does. My bucks will be on a different property.
4. For my perimeter fence line ( I am fencing the entire property off) I am doing 47 inch woven wire, with 1-2 rows of barb wire on top. For the dividing fence rows could I use the cheaper 37-39 inch woven wire with barb wire on top? Or would they jump this?

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
30,585 Posts
Can rotated pastures share a fence line, or does this defeat the purpose of worm control?
I dont think this will be a issue
Can young kids, and pygmies be in a lot with an "orchard" in it, there are 10 apple trees, I won't be using them for myself but don't want to kill them because I would like to feed them to my horses. I figured pygmies and kids wouldn't do as much damage to the trees as full grown adults. Oh and what about old grape vines?
Anything new can upset the tummy..too many fallen apples will shut down the rumen, babies are easier on the tree but will still strip the bark right off lol..might consider wire fencing around the trees and be prepared to keep fruit cleaned up
grape vines are ok in moderation : )

Is three pastures enough ? I plan to rotate every 21 days. I have 6 does. My bucks will be on a different property.
3 should be plenty..I remember reading some where that 2-3 weeks is needed for worm eggs to die off...also remember to bring them out to pasture after the dew has been burned off..worm eggs travel up the blade on the dew..where goat then eat them and start the process over again : )

For my perimeter fence line ( I am fencing the entire property off) I am doing 47 inch woven wire, with 1-2 rows of barb wire on top. For the dividing fence rows could I use the cheaper 37-39 inch woven wire with barb wire on top? Or would they jump this?
It depends on your goats. Are they jumpers..I would think the added bob aire would add the inches needed to keep them in

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont think this will be a issue yay!

Anything new can upset the tummy..too many fallen apples will shut down the rumen, babies are easier on the tree but will still strip the bark right off lol..might consider wire fencing around the trees and be prepared to keep fruit cleaned up
grape vines are ok in moderation : )

That was what I was worried about, I may have to take the trees out ): Because they pretty much take up the hole pen.

3 should be plenty..I remember reading some where that 2-3 weeks is needed for worm eggs to die off...also remember to bring them out to pasture after the dew has been burned off..worm eggs travel up the blade on the dew..where goat then eat them and start the process over again : )

I always heard 21 days.. could that be part of my major worm problem- leaving them out on pasture 24/7 (access to barn)?

4 Pasures are ideal.but work with the space you have : )

4 would defiantly be pushing the size of the pasture, and my wallet :)

It depends on your goats. Are they jumpers..I would think the added bob aire would add the inches needed to keep them in
I would probably put 2-3 rows of barb wire.. only my boer buck is a jumper and he will be on a different property.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
30,585 Posts
Sounds like you have a good plan in hand : )

I always heard 21 days.. could that be part of my major worm problem- leaving them out on pasture 24/7 (access to barn)?
Im sure 21 days works : ) As for the dew issue, sometimes we donthave the luxury to hold off until after the sun has burned it off..: ) the rotation will certainly help in that

·
I'm watching you
22,271 Posts
My goats have 4 huge old apple trees in their pasture. There's never been a problem with the windfall apples. They fall so slowly to begin with that they are used to them before the main portion of them fall. Like anything else they have all the time, they quickly get bored with them and leave them laying.

·
Registered
30,585 Posts
It would be something to keep an eye on though...incase you do have a piggie. And if graze become thin, they could eat more than they need..

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have had a major worm problem. I have the ability to lock my goats up till the dew is off, I just haven't. If you guys think it would help, I will try it.

Did they kill your trees eating the bark ?

·
Registered
30,585 Posts
If the goats can stay dry lotted and fed hay until dew is burned off..this could help cut down on you worm load...also raking berries up often helps...we rake often! mor oftenthen the kids like lol...

From what I understand peeling th bark off any tree can kill it :(

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
If the goats can stay dry lotted and fed hay until dew is burned off..this could help cut down on you worm load...also raking berries up often helps...we rake often! mor oftenthen the kids like lol... From what I understand peeling th bark off any tree can kill it :(
My clan last year stripped the bark of the "chicken yard" apple tree. (It's named the chicken yard apple because we never could find out it's proper name and years ago that's where the chicken yard was) I thought for sure the tree was dead... Nope, it came back with many big beautiful apples on it this year. The same thing happened to some people about 5 min from us that has oberhasli's. I'm wondering what will happen next year though.

·
Registered
30,585 Posts
My clan last year stripped the bark of the "chicken yard" apple tree. (It's named the chicken yard apple because we never could find out it's proper name and years ago that's where the chicken yard was) I thought for sure the tree was dead... Nope, it came back with many big beautiful apples on it this year. The same thing happened to some people about 5 min from us that has oberhasli's. I'm wondering what will happen next year though.
Thats good : ) I have always heard stripped bark causes the tree to die., a family who purchased goats from me said they ate the bark of their fruit tree, I think it was peach, it died :( They had to fence off the rest of them ..glad your apple tree survived it...It could be how deep they peeled? what variety? or their bad luck LOL..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts