The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an African Pygmy doeling off of an ad on craigslist in May. The guy wasn't taking very good care of the herd, didn't know her age, and she was covered in lice. I'm guessing that she was about 3 months old at the time, which would make her about 9 months now. She was fine in the beginning, but then she started to walk stiff legged with her back right leg. She was back to normal in a few days so we just figured she'd played too hard. Then it happened again with left back leg, and then again with both back legs. And now it's happening again. This time it's her left front leg. It seems to rotate as it comes and goes. She's still playing, running, jumping, climbing, etc with no hesitation, and not showing any signs of pain, discomfort or stress. She is in with all of the other does (one of which we bought with her, that's probably a month younger than her), and none of them are having any problems. They all do the same things, and eat the same foods. Her appetite is normal, and her personality hasn't changed. Any ideas?

· Super Moderator
36,679 Posts
I agree...test to rule CAE out., also have a fecal done...what is her diet like...do they get loose minerals?
Could she have any fainter in her blood line?

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She has unlimited access to fresh hay, baking soda, and loose minerals. She gets grain once a day. I'll get in touch with a vet on Monday and see if I can take her in. As far as fainter, I was thinking that, since with craigslist you never really know what you are getting. She's the one on the right (this pic is from the day we got her):

· Super Moderator
36,679 Posts
both are adorable! ..hopefully all checks out well at the vets...

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! I hope so, too. Her name is Vixen and she just happens to be my 2 year old daughter's favorite goat. We have 2 ADGA Nigerian Dwarf bucks, 1 African Pygmy buck, 2 ADGA Nigerian Dwarf does, Luna (pictured, the other AP we got with Vixen), and Vixen.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She's perfectly fine today. But I did realize that this really only happens when she seems to break into a run or "skip" through the yard. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, since she happens to be my personal favorite goat, too. I moved all of her legs, and checked all of her joints while she was eating this morning. There are no signs of anything, and they aren't stiff. Her hooves are fine. I'm still going to keep an eye on it, and try to get her to the vet on Monday. Here she is today:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.