The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a La Mancha I just got who is in milk and possibly 1 month pregnant. The previous owner sawed her horns off and one of them smells kind of like a dead animal and the outter horn has rotted off. She's congested and had mucus coming from the site. What should I give her internally & externally and Is there anything natural rather than antibiotics? Thanks.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I would spray the horns with iodine,also by what you are describing ,I would start on penicillin or la200 injected

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
Oh My goodness poor thing!!!
She needs antibiotics..sounds infected...5-7 days of Penicillan 1cc per 20# sub Q..be sure to pull back the plunger....if you see blood..re adjust..you dont want to inject in a vien.
I would also give her Banamine to help with pain and swelling
Next I would clean the horn area...being as gentle as I could then spray with a antiseptic spray that will also keep off flies..keep the horn bed clean and dry so it can heal..

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
I agree with jd.. get a temp on her , be sure she is eating and drinking well..

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
Oh man. How horrible. Poor girl.

·
2,203 Posts
I wonder how far gone? Can you see if they also burned around the base? Or just one of those "they're in the way so I'm taking them both off" deals? Sounds horrible.

First I would work on cleaning them. Take a toothbrush and orajel and rub some on the area. Leave on for say, 3 minutes or so. Then take some saline or sterile water mixed with a drop of dawn dish soap and clean the horns up and clean them out as well. Next take some iodine and smother them in it. I would then proceed to take (if any) the necrotic tissue off. Spray or drop antibiotic on the wound. I would start on antibiotic. Something that could lead to gangrene you really don't want to fart around with. Get her immune system the boost it needs and start an antibiotic. I would then top dress with fly spray.

I would try all that first, and if that didn't work, I'm personally not afraid to inflict some heavy pain to save a life. If starting to get worse, I would gouge those horns off completely and burn them as well. Banamine for pain, start on heavy antibiotic.

(The less "mean" way is to call the vet, they'll do the same)

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
If the horn is rotting off, you probably need to remove it the rest of the way. When you saw or cut the horns off down near the base it opens a hole directly into their sinus cavity, if she is congested she may have a sinus infection from the area being open. If they did saw them off at the base, then I would try to scrub out the horn area as best as you can and put some iodine on it.

Can you get a picture of it?

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
I would be hesitant to dig too much in the horn base...it could push bacteria into the cavity and cause more damage...keeping her on Pen for 5-7 days maybe even 10 days and cleaning the outer part gently., If the inner part needs to be cleaned I would have an experianced vet look at it..as ptgoats45 said the horns open up to the sinus', ..spray an antiseptic spray/fly spray on it..

·
Member with a bahhh
2,472 Posts
If she is congested I bet the infection in already in her sinus cavity poor thing. Natural at this point isn't going to be as good as antibiotics since it has gone this far. If it's not caught quick it could go into her brain. I wish you the best of luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My female goat is arlund 11 yrs. This morning went outside she cannot get up. A small prolapse in rectum. Gave her some laxative pills(3) and some coffee with karo syrup. Can she poop with this prolapse? She is drinking if i give her water. But her back legs arent really working.

·
Member with a bahhh
2,472 Posts
My female goat is arlund 11 yrs. This morning went outside she cannot get up. A small prolapse in rectum. Gave her some laxative pills(3) and some coffee with karo syrup. Can she poop with this prolapse? She is drinking if i give her water. But her back legs arent really working.
You have a thread. I would suggest waiting for answers there.

·
1,524 Posts
I agree with whats been written, antibiotics, clean and get as much of the necrotic tissue removed as you can every day. It does sound like the infection has already drained down into her sinuses and has them infected as well. It won't take much to get it to the lining of her brain.

Do you have any Banamine to help control the pain and inflammation?

You will need something on the horn opening to keep the lfies away. You don't need maggots hatching out and possibly getting into her sinuses..

·
2,203 Posts
I've been thinking of this thread today. I got on my seeing machine and stitched A fly horn cover with a strap going around the jaw that I think will work really nicely.

Basically make two cones out of fly mask and attach between with a piece of burlap. The strap I also would use burlap under the jaw. Stitch a zig zag pattern of stretchy cord through the middle to make it tighter.

I found an old broken fly mask in the barn today and figured why not?

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
Hows your doe doing? any news on the horn issue??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you all so much for your imput. When the outter shell of the horn fell off it left about a 1/4 in hole in her head, which was pretty disconcerting, if you can imagine. Since I wasn't able to find out what to do by researching online and I knew it would be a few days till I could check your answers, I rinsed it with hydrogren Peroxide and then put on a mixture of coconut oil, tea tree oil and other essential oils 2xs daily to keep the gnats and flies off and to disinfect and promote healling. After a day or two of this, the hole (which I imagine is the sinus cavity) had almost completely sealed itself over and it no longer smells dead and seems to be healling. This picture is the day right after it started sealing over and healling. I think it looks a little better now. What do you guys think looking at it now?

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think she's no longer congested and the oils definitely have kept every kind of fly away although that sounds like a good idea you concocted with you sewing machine. I'll keep that in mind. Thank you.

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
the right horn area looks like its healing..now the left horn...whats up with that one..looks kind of sliced at an angle???

1 - 20 of 22 Posts