The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'm new to goats, and I have three Nigerians two does and one wether all 10 months old. My wethers coat is getting rough and losing its color, he was dark brown when we got him in February, and now he has a lot of white on his hind legs and it is spreading throughout the rest of his coat. His tail also looks pretty thin? I feed them free choice loose mana pro minerals, and free choice Timothy/Alfalfa mix hay, and also Timothy pellets occasionally. I gave them all a copper bolus two months ago, and they were wormed around the same time. I'm not sure if this is normal, or what is going on. Could he really be copper deficient two months after a bolus (at the time he weighed 20 pounds and I gave him 1g), or is it something else? The picture of all three goats was taken the day we got them, and he's the dark brown one in the middle, the other two pictures were taken yesterday. Thanks so much in advance for any help!

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I was afraid of giving him too much copper since it has only been two months since I did it. I'll get him another dose today. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Someone else may chip in here. You should perhaps give him a full kids dose now. Goats like people are all diffrent. Though your othrrs may need a full kids dose now only because they didn't get enough to begin. I would get some Selium gel and do it as well. I have a friend who has never given copper and rarely gives minerals and she has active dairy goats she never gave copper at all nor had minerals out. She also feeds the crappiest hay and her goats look great. I did talk her into minerals.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I do hope others join this. I have a feeling you should go to a medicated feed like Noble goat as high protein contributes to problems with males goats urinary tracks. I have only had the buck I have now and watch him close for it. I always borrowed a buck.

·
Super Moderator
58,201 Posts
An incorrect calcium to phosphorus rate in their entire diet leads to urinary calculi in males. I would be giving them more alfalfa. His entire diet should be a minimum of 2:1 calcium to phosphorus. His coat may be changing color. But you can give him a copper bolus now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have heard of selenium gel. I'm trying to find a selenium to use free choice for them, but am struggling. I have read that it isn't good for males to have too much alfalfa. How do you know how much is the right amount? Should I be giving them some kind of grain too?

·
Super Moderator
58,201 Posts
Calcium usually isn't the problem. Too much phosphorus is. It is the balance of the 2 that is critical. You need to look up the calcium and phosphorus amounts in everything you feed and see what it is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts