The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some of you know I finally got a couple ND doelings yesterday. Yay! But I'm kind of up a stump about their condition. :scratch:
Here's what I wrote in the thread I started about them:

This lady does all the stuff in the book; I trust that she would've been taking the best care of these girls- but I was surprised to notice that their coats are a little rough.
She said that she treats her kids once a week with Alban to prevent coccidia, and IDK how often she deworms, but she gave them each a dose of Valbazen today before we got them.

It looks like their coats were rough, and are now coming in shinier; I'll probably give them a trim soon.

^^this was yesterday evening

Today I was looking at them, and I noticed that the younger one has a much rougher coat than the older one. I'm a little worried about her- I haven't trimmed her hair, but she feels bony underneath, she's (I'll just start calling her Blackberry; that will be her registered name) not as alert as Greta(the older one), and I noticed her eyed are a little runny.
I think she might be congested too, cause she kept making these kind of snorty sounds. :shrug: do you think she may have a cold?
She doesn't seem to be interested in exploring at all. When I set her down on the ground, she just stays there and doesn't move.
Both are doing their stuff like normal, poop is normal, they ate their grain just fine.

I'm going to take their temps, and I was thinking a b shot might be in order, at least for Blackberry, maybe Nutra-drench?

We didn't really ever weigh our other NDs before, except occasionally, and I don't really know the proper weights for them. Does anybody know how much a four month old ND doe should weigh? They look soo tiny to me, I wonder if maybe they were a little small for their age.

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
Do you have a goat vet? I would take her in and have her checked for pneumonia. I'm currently dealing with pneumonia in my 4 month old and my 2 month old. No temp. Just an occasional cough and breathing heavier than normal. Vet diagnosed pneumonia. I decided to take them in to the vet because I didn't like the sound of the cough and how hard they were breathing (even for very hot and humid weather). I had no other good signs.

I would also give them B Complex and Probios. If they haven't had copper or selenium, I would be giving that too. I would also have a fecal done to include coccidia (even though they were treated).

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I was out the with them for a while just now; Blackberry seems to be a little perkier, but not much. Don't get me wrong, she's not acting sick, really, she just seems a bit less than 100%. I haven't heard her snorting any more. Greta is definitely more active, and her coat is better too. She's also not bony like Blackberry.I gave Blackberry a b shot, but I don't have probios yet. I gave them both a bit of molasses/electro stuff last night, too.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forgot to say our vet(s) around here are NOT goat vets. :( they are very nice, but don't seem to know anything about goats, so do you think I should still take them? If it was pneumonia, what would the prescription be? Do you think I would be able to tell and treat it without going to the vet? I'm just wondering; I'm not going to do anything stupid. ;)

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, and I have copper, but not selenium.... And I weight taped them last night: Blackberry is 11 lbs, Greta is 14... Is that too small for a four month old to weigh?

What do you think I should give them for right now?

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone??? I don't want to have take them to the vet, but we could go today if we had to. I'd like to know if there's anything I can do for now.

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
Do you have a scale? Like as in a human scale? Weigh yourself and then weigh the goats. I really don't trust the weight tapes. If they are that small, you could even get a hanging fish scale and put them in a bag and weigh them on the fish scale (weigh the bag first to subtract that amount).

You can try Tylan 200 first but I don't know dosage on that. I usually take mine to the vet and get the more potent stuff. Unfortunately, if they aren't livestock vets, they probably don't have the drugs in stock that you need.

To be honest, you won't be able to tell by listening to their lungs if they have pneumonia until it is so bad that a laymen could tell. My 2 month old barely sounded like it but the vet could tell.

At least get the B Complex into them. I would get Probios and the Tylan 200 from TSC.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, thank you for responding!! I am so impatient sometimes, lol! I had only given Blackberry the b shot, because my little sister came out just then, and she wouldn't have wanted to see me doing that, lol. And Greta seems fine, but I'll go ahead and give her one too.
I couldn't get their temps. Hehe, we don't get sick hardly ever, and I never could get the hang of thermometers. I can't see the line, at least on the cheapo one I was trying to use.:D So I don't know their temps.
I'll see if we can't get the stuff from TSC today.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Um, help!

I gave Blackberry 2ml of the B complex earlier; does that sound about right? Also I need to kmow how much Thiamine to give them; they're so tiny, I couldn't find a dosage for that weight. I was thinking I could give them yogurt instead of probios for now.... I rather not give too many different meds, if I can fight this with natural methods, or at least be as basic as possible.I want to do whats best for them, of course, but I (and my parents) don't like using medicine if we can help it and I'd really like to keep it basic.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They've both had B complex, dimethox, and Nutra-drench. IDK if we'll be able to make it to the vet anytime in the next few days, but I'm not too worried about them right now. They're acting pretty normal, and don't seem to be feeling horrible or anything. Maybe they are just adjusting to their new home.
But any more advice will be appreciated, if anyone thinks I'm not doing enough. :)

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
I would continue with the DiMethox for the full 5 day treatment. You can use yogurt but Probios is better. I would give them yogurt or Probios every day for a week.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, I intend to do that. :) I'll keep a close eye on them; if they seem worse, I'll try to get them to the vet. Right now they seem to be doing alright, though their eyes are still a bit runny-it looks kind of white, with a tiny bit of a greenish tint. But it's not very much, not running down their faces or anything.I tried to weigh them with a human scale, but ours is weird; it won't weigh anything when you're holding an animal. We've tried it before, for some reason it won't register.:rolleyes:
But I read in a another forum where someone tested the weight tape chart that Fiasco farm has on Nigerians against a human scale, and it was very close to being right, (within a pound or two) so I was going by that.
Does anyone know how much yogurt to give?

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh forgot to ask, is there a way to measure how much copper to give these little guys? We have a scale that measures grams, but not if it's only 1 or 2; it seems to only work if you are doing like, 20 or more. Can I use a teaspoon or something?

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
1cc per 60# copper lol...

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
I cut off the end of a syringe and pour them in. Then I top it off with Probios so they don't fall out. Put the syinge towards the back of their mouth and push the plunger.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts