The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few doelings around 3 months old that I just bought. They have rough coats. I wormed them and dosed with copasure. How long will it take for them to slicking up

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Well, from my extremely recent experiences, I think it's possible they are copper deficient, or they may have coccidiosis, which is a parasite but not a worm. If so, the best thing to.do.is take a fecal sample to.the vet and he will.tell you if that is the case.
Welcome to the forum by the way, and congratulations on your goats!
I sure you will love them.

·
Super Moderator
59,744 Posts
It can take a couple months. A good loose goat mineral should help too. You can also give them some wheat germ oil.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
If they are already with the rest, and if they have it, chances are the rest have it too, sorry but I think it transmits really quickly. You could separate them anyway just in case.

·
Super Moderator
59,744 Posts
I would take a fecal sample in to the vet and have it tested to include coccidia. Know for sure before you just start treating for stuff.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't see any of the signs that indicate they would have it. Just the rough coat and pale eyelids

·
Super Moderator
59,744 Posts
It certainly never hurts to take a fecal sample in to be sure. But that is up to you and you are the one physically looking at your goats. Sometimes we can't say things for sure over the internet because we aren't physically looking at the goats.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I don't see any of the signs that indicate they would have it. Just the rough coat and pale eyelids
Those ARE the signs that the would have it. Until.it's mote advancd, I think that's all they'll show, rough coats an space eyelids.
If they are rely pale, you. Need to get them checked right away. Young kids are very disreputable to coccidiosis.

·
Registered
31,448 Posts
I agree..this time of year Cocci is very heavy....any vet can do a fecal...it usually does not cost much...but I think its important enough to do..Cocci is not to be messed with....

OTC stuff to use is Sulmet and Dimethox...I would no get Corid...the vets always say COrid..but its a thiamine inhibotor and can cause Goat polio...Many on this sight have lost kids to polio after using corid...Many use it with no issues but I would not chance it..too risky My choice for cocci now is Baycox but it needs to be ordered...horseprerace.com...works like a dream..
Best wishes : )

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Oops, I didn't know I wrote "disreputable" ! I meant to say susceptible! I'm using a kindle, and it has word suggestions, and if you don't spell something just right, it will substitute what it thinks you mean. :rolleyes:
Sorry!

·
Registered
31,448 Posts
Yesi t can be used on young kids...they usually dont need it younger than 3 weeks..Im not sure about Bred Does..Ill look some stuff up, seeif I cant find something..Yes the one dose is Awesome : ) and they dont seem to mind....when I used Sulmet..some would go off spitting and couphing while others acted like I just poisoned them with acid lol

·
Registered
31,448 Posts

·
Registered
31,448 Posts
although it does not mention Goats .... until we know more about it I would avoid giving it to pregnant Does...;)

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Hmm I have the same issue with a couple of my weatherlings. I have a thread up with pics. Im gonna check a fecal too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts