The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one buck in rough looking condition, I have wormed him but not much change in last 6 weeks. Any diagnosis and suggestions would help. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
59,744 Posts
I would start with a fecal to include coccidia. One dewormer doesn't work for all parasites so you do need to know which parasites you are dealing with.

What are you feeding him? Do you have a good loose goat mineral out? Have you copper bolused lately? How is the selenium in your area?

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I was taking rough condition as in rough coat as well, if so yeah copper it did wonders on my goats. If he is clear of all worms ect. and you give him copper and minerals and still not cutting it I like black sunflower seeds. We got a whole truck load one year and OMG did our cattle shine that year.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would start with a fecal to include coccidia. One dewormer doesn't work for all parasites so you do need to know which parasites you are dealing with.

What are you feeding him? Do you have a good loose goat mineral out? Have you copper bolused lately? How is the selenium in your area?
He is currently out in pasture as well as alfalfa and Bagged feed. I will try the selenium paste and see how that works for him

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was taking rough condition as in rough coat as well, if so yeah copper it did wonders on my goats. If he is clear of all worms ect. and you give him copper and minerals and still not cutting it I like black sunflower seeds. We got a whole truck load one year and OMG did our cattle shine that year.
I will try anything at this point, I forgot to mention some weight lost to him as well. I will head down to feed store and grab some black sunflower seeds.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Have you checked for lice? If you have free range chickens they will give your goats lice and their coats will be rough we had this problem. Shave your goat and
apply poultry dust or diatomaceous earth. Both will dry up those suckers!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts