The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nigi doe has a very dull rough coat. My other goat has a beautiful shiny coat and they are both fed the same thing so I am a bit confused as to what's going on. The white one is my doe. Black is my whether. They are up to date on everything but cdt. Could that be what's wrong? Also, I was thinking it was selenium deficiency but I can't get the map to check if we are deficient in northern California!! Any ideas on what the problem is?

ForumRunner_20131006_131812.jpg

ForumRunner_20131006_131822.jpg

ForumRunner_20131006_131838.jpg

Attachments

·
1,524 Posts
Every animal is different, so what works for your wether, my not be enough for your doe. Do you feed a good loose mineral?

Copper and zinc issues show up in the hair and skin.

Supplements like rice bran and kelp, or even a bit of oil on her grain can help improve the hair.

BTW...black hair shines faster and brighter that lighter colors.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'm new to this, so feel a little odd giving advice, but I had similar issues with my Nubian, and cleared it up by supplementing her with copper. You can buy Copasure for goats at Jefferspet.com. Adding black oil sunflower seeds to the diet also made a difference in the coats of my goats. Good luck!

·
14,615 Posts
Yep I agree with copper & selenium; you can add a small handful of BOSS to their grain.
Any goat within a herd can be different, even within the same general bloodlines.
What are your loose minerals?
CDT has nothing to do with this.;)

·
Registered
31,087 Posts
BOSS is black oil sunflower seeds..Tractor supply carries it as well as most feed stores...All good advice here : ) best wishes

·
Registered
637 Posts
got 3 new goats Fri, owner made sure to demo Bose shots, she says in California we are definitely deficient on Selenium.... and to do the BoSe3 times a year....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts