Rough Labor Doe wont get up! HELP!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by BreKelsey, Jan 31, 2011.

1. BreKelsey

BreKelsey New Member

Jan 31, 2011
    I'm needing some advice from people who know goats. I have a French Alpine Dairy goat. she is 9 yrs and this was to be her last breeding. She kidded tuesday night. ( I'm new to goats and tried to read up the best I could be wasn't completely sure what to expect) she ended up laying down and laboring for hours (bad I now know).... hard labor trying to push. I finally realized something was wrong and called someone. I tried to go and and help ( the baby was face only and was stuck) I pushed her back found a leg, tried to find another one... but I ended up loosing one baby. it was an extreamly hard pull to get the dead kid out. the mama was so exhausted that she couldn't move, push, nothing. then we got the second kid out and he's fine. well its been almost a week and the mama still wont get up. we've treated her for keetosis (spelling?) and have given her shots for pain and nerve damage ( recommended by our vet) and have drenched her twice a day with two different things ( one for the keetosis an the other is norcalcithol.) I know the vet has us giving her dextross. and an antibiotic. she isn't producing milk so were bottling her baby. and she has no desire to get up. doesn't even try. we can force her up but have to balence her the whole time ( she's kind of a big heavy girl too) has anyone had anything like this happen? what do you do for it?

2. BreKelsey

BreKelsey New Member

Jan 31, 2011
    our vet has us giving her (forgive the spelling) Dextross, norcalcithol, danomine, and dexathethazone for nerve damage and pain. she's really hurting when her meds start to wear off.... I hate to have to put her down... but what other things can I try for her? I don't want her to just lay there and suffer :sigh:

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so very sorry for your loss...... :( remember next time .....you can pull the kid... if you find the one leg and head...it is OK...I have done it....the kid comes right out... :hug:

Have you treated for milk fever?

Did you take her temp anytime?

Is she shaking.. not eating..drinking?

She could very well... have nerve damage from the rough delivery....glad... you have that part covered... and your are treating her with what you are giving... :thumb:

Did the kids get their colostrum? I have taught kids in the past to nurse.. while momma is laying down...had a rough delivery myself a few years back and she had milk fever...and I think nerve damage....I had to pull really hard... a kid to get it out and it took a very long time....I finally got the kid out....born alive ...but then... he died a few minutes later...... :( the Doe wouldn't get up.....what-so ever... :( but after treatment ...and time....she began to get better....I think it was like a week..... took her a while.....

So... you didn't get any milk ...what so ever out of her...even just a little... can get her started....with bumping her udder...milking her and getting the kids to suckle....
    It will take some time for her.... to get back up and around.... but.... it is best to try to get her on her feet....even putting a towel or blanket over a small bale of hay and make her straddle it...or a nice strong bucket.....make sure ...you watch her though... while she is on it.... so she doesn't fall..... :hug:

Or ....Can you build a strap to put around her belly and throw a rope to support her from above..... to help her to her feet?

Prayers sent that way for her.... :hug: :pray:

4. BreKelsey

BreKelsey New Member

Jan 31, 2011
    I didn't get her temp. but the vet had me check ears and they were very cold. the vet said a calcium problem. she's eating very little, and drinking some. but we just don't know what to do for her anymore. we could make a sling somehow.... but don't know if it'll even help :( we're out of the two oral meds and are just giving her the pain stuff and the antibiotic med...... we keep rotating her side to side every day.... but the side she's laying on is so nasty and smelly each day :( its just sad.... as soon as her pain stuff starts wearing off her breathing gets really heavy too..... :(

we did get colostrum the first couple days... i milked some out the first night and then again the second but it kept decreasing till I can't get anything now :( we have another doe who has a week old buckling and she has plenty of milk, so we've been using some of hers for the baby that made it.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Wow...I feel so bad for you and the Doe....She is in my Prayers..... :pray: :hug:

It is crucial to get her up.....if she doesn't use... it ...she will lose it..... also... she needs to get up so her rumen won't shut down..... anything to get her up on her feet will help..... By her not moving around.... I also worry about pneumonia.... :(

Glad the kids got colostrum.....and you have a supply of milk .. for the kids.... :hug:

6. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

I really hope she gets up.....but you know if she keeps going down, maybe it would be best for her if she was put down......shes in alot of pain, putting her to sleep would make it all go away :(

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It sounds like you are doing what you can for her....If at all possible though, do not let her lay flat on one side or the other, get her up on her brisket, prop her against a hay bale or an inside wall, the laying flat will lead to rumen shut down as well as pneumonia.
    I truly hope she makes it for you :hug:

8. BreKelsey

BreKelsey New Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Thanks everyone. Laura- thanks and I know it would actually be better for her... she's hurting so bad, and I can't keep her on pain meds forever. Its just so hard cause this was my very first kidding and everything went sooooo wrong :( I was at least hoping that I'd saved the mama and one baby.... but it looks like she's not gonna make it either. I have another doe going to kid in the next two weeks... Praying it goes better then this one :(

another question for everyone. the baby she has that lived is a little buck ( super cute) we have another mama with a little buck baby in a different stall, and another due in a couple weeks that's in a different stall. If his mama isn't going to make it will he be ok in a stall by him self? or will he need a companion? what do I do for him? the other baby is still with his mama and we're planning to let him nurse for a while still...... so not sure If I should put him half day away from mama and in with the other baby for company? or what I should do?

9. BreKelsey

BreKelsey New Member

Jan 31, 2011
    also, I'd read you can introduce babies to other mamas but you'd have to do something like rub her afterbirth on him so she thinks he's hers.... does that even work? ( like I said I"m new to everything) or is there other ways to do that? He will be about 2-3 weeks when the other are born though.... is that to much of an age difference to put him in with others?