The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just seem to not be getting things right after a very rough season with sick goats and premature birth and miscarriage I finically think I have my heard straightened out healthy and in a week I have 3 girls who seemed to have put on a ton of weight! And another had a miscarriage and we are starting to get a cough again :( this is first month since April I didn't have to pay extra vet bills! And know it looks like I am headed right back that way really frustrating. I am not sure y my girls have all of a sudden gained weight maybe something to do with them not feeling that great maybe because they have started coughing bad again and one of my girls who was about 3 weeks bred miscarried :( her sister miscarried at 2 months bred in August I am doing my 2 dose of fall worming starting this weekend and giving the girls a round of antibiotics hoping thing straighten out since it is pretty chili at night and so warm during day I am thinking they may have something respiratory going on also treating my buck with antibiotics hoping it if he is or has passed anything around my does it will clear up money is a little tight since hubby has been laid off since April so really trying not to have to call vet unless I really need to!

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
it's been a rough year for sure.

Miscarriages - how's the selenium in your area? Are you supplementing?

goat colds - if it's a cold then it may not need the antibiotics. They might need cold meds.

Sounds like all of them could use an immunity boost regardless.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's been a rough year for sure. Miscarriages - how's the selenium in your area? Are you supplementing? goat colds - if it's a cold then it may not need the antibiotics. They might need cold meds. Sounds like all of them could use an immunity boost regardless.
We are deficient they get BoSe 2xs a yr they have a constant cough with green snot they have free choice loose minerals good quality hay and lots to graze on I clean pen 2xs a week and clean feed dishes nightly and water buckets it's driving me crazy

·
Registered
31,055 Posts
That many misscarriages!!...could be a number of things going on..here is a list of causes,
http://www.goatwisdom.com/ch8diseases/abortioncauses.html

Were you able to have a neocropsy done on any of the fetuses?

I would check into Nuflor or draxxin for your URI problem...I prefer Nuflor because I firmly believe a goats metabolism is too fast far long tern antibiotics..and with your goats struggling to get past it I would use it for 7-10 days
Im sory you are having so many issues... sure takes the joy out of it...Best wishes

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Vet had me using la 200 but I really hated it after talking to a couple of goat people in my area they suggested excenel so I am trying that this time they all swear by it Thanks for the sight Happybleats and no no necropsy I nvr found any features just lots of blood

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Get some pnuemonia vaccine. The ones that already have a cough check temps. If they have a fever use draxxin and banamine (or ibuprofen). If no fever get some robitussin dm. I agree with the bose.give it to all of them. What wormer are you using, be sure it is ok for pregnant does.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Every single thing you are saying is going on in your herd all points to clamydia (I know that's not spelled right). It causes the abortions preemies and the pneumonia and even the runs. Yes LA 200 is not fun for your goats but keep on it. You can also get medicated feed for them. I use CTC I had 2 abortions and a set of preemies and talked to the vet after that and he said that the CTC is a good start just in case. I have done a lot of reading and is very common in goats and this feed will not hurt them if they don't have it.I would look it up and see if it fits the bill to you. It didn't fit mine 100% and now belive it was urea but I'm still gonna give the feed I figure better safe then sorry.

·
Registered
31,055 Posts
Bio-Mycin 200 is the same thing as LA 200 with without the stinging carrier...I bet it wouldbe ok to switch...

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Happybleats is right the bio does not have the sting but way more expensive. I hate to totally kill your mood here but the does actually while being I fected will leak discharge and will reinfect everyone again. Same as the after birth. After reading that I now feed CTC year round and also give a round of the LA 200 before they kid. On a good note.....as good as it gets they say once they abort they should not abort again. That the does kinda build a bit of a resistance to it.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Happybleats is right the bio does not have the sting but way more expensive. I hate to totally kill your mood here but the does actually while being I fected will leak discharge and will reinfect everyone again. Same as the after birth. After reading that I now feed CTC year round and also give a round of the LA 200 before they kid. On a good note.....as good as it gets they say once they abort they should not abort again. That the does kinda build a bit of a resistance to it.
My TSC has a bag of feed called medicated feed but doesn't say what it is medicated with would that be it?

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I'll look when I get home for what the medicated name is called. Tractor supply does have a little pouch of stuff that goes in the water but in the long run is more money but if you can't find this stuff is better then nothing. I know it was a big blown at fight for me at the feed store when I asked about it. They were clueless and was just luck the guy behind me also buys it so helped them find it in their book. But I'll let you know the name as soon as I get home ;)

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll look when I get home for what the medicated name is called. Tractor supply does have a little pouch of stuff that goes in the water but in the long run is more money but if you can't find this stuff is better then nothing. I know it was a big blown at fight for me at the feed store when I asked about it. They were clueless and was just luck the guy behind me also buys it so helped them find it in their book. But I'll let you know the name as soon as I get home ;)
Great thank you!!!!

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Aureomycin is what your goon look for. What I have is a powder of some kind I know it comes in like a crumble type feed and if you can find it I would get it that way if they don't rip you off on it. With this that I have is awesome cause I only need to use 1/4 cup per goat BUT on a windy day its not fun. I just mix it into their grain and feed. Hope this helps you and if not I'll try to get a hold of they guy that helped me.....he's a bit more smarter then I ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts