Rough time

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Deena, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Deena

Deena New Member

Jan 31, 2009
    North Carolina
    Baby kidded 1 buck and 1 doe there both solid black. Baby was acting a bit off so I put in a call to the vet her cmt test was showing an elevated somatic cell count so Im treating her with infusions her milk seemed fine no flakes/clumps etc but I guess its better to be safe than sorry.The morning after the vet came out she got very sick so I called him again he said she had been poisoned by rhododendron so I met him and picked up some banimine shots for her unless there was a rhododendron leaf in her hay or the storms blew some in her pen I have no idea how she got poisoned needless to say shes been very sick and hasn't hardly eat anything until today. My sister had surgery but is doing better.My bottle babies are growing well and are a little spoiled.Jessie missed her kidding date and is huge so I guess I can look for more babies around the 24.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    congrats on the new additions..... :greengrin:

Wow ...you sure have had it rough ...I am so sorry....poisoned that is odd ...and you can't find the source....... :scratch:

with the banimine have you given her vit b complex ...in addition to ...for appetite?

If she had something poison...was she given activated charchol?

I am glad your sister is doing better....... :hug:

3. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    from what I understand, with rhod. poisoning the goat will be vomiting rather spectactularly all over the place.

I'm sorry you've been having a rough trot. Chin up, things will eventually get better and here's a big :grouphug: from everyone at TGS, and one from me :hug:

4. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    keren ...you are so sweet........here's one back at ya...... :hug: :grouphug:

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    oh , hope she gets to feeling better soon. :)

6. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    Thinking of you and Baby, and continued speedy recovery for your sister. Keep us posted.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    for poisoning you need to give activated charcoal....not sure about the banamine. :shrug:

If you would like some specific help with her let us know some symptoms and how she is doing today and we can suggest some things.

If seh just recnetly kidded I amthinking more like hypocalciemia or milk fever as being the cause of her going off feed and being sick.

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Deena.... how she is doing today.... :hug:

9. Deena

Deena New Member

Jan 31, 2009
    North Carolina
    Thank God shes doing so much better she is one hungry girl! Stacy the vet just gave me banimine and told me I could try pepto other than that Ive been giving her pepto,probios,and molasses.To say the least I didn't Know if she would make it its been 5 days of her hardly eating at all.The vet didn't tell me to but yes I gave her vitamin b complex shots...they really seem to help.She was spitting up the most foul smelling cud and her poo was a mess. I still cant figure out how she could have gotten a hold of any rhododendron.My sister is doing some better she had an allergic reaction to the dye they put in her bladder and she had a cold that settled in her chest shes hoping to feel better before her next granddaughter is born. :grouphug: yall are so kind thanks for the caring and compassion.

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Deena...you are so very welcome...that's what we are here for.. :wink: :hug:

I am so happy things are better....sounds terrific..congrats... :dance: :greengrin:

11. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Wow...you have had a rough go at it :hug:

Glad to hear that your new momma is doing better and that your sis is recovering, there is a light at the end of that dark tunnel after all.

12. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Sometimes when it rains, it pours. Sounds like you are starting to see the :sun: now though. :hug: