The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone feed round bales to their goats? I'm thinking of getting one but am not sure if it will be the same as feeding square.......I'm thinking if it's horse quality it should be ok right?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's all I fed is round bales. As long as you can keep it dry its no different than your squares.
Thanks.......I know that's probably a stupid question but I've just never seen it anywhere. I wouldn't have a way of keeping it out of the elements but it seems more cost effective than squares!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
We use them for our horses in the winter and the goats like them too. But, we had to move them away because they started jumping on top and going to the bathroom all over it and it was ruining the bales :/. But besides that we love feeding round bales. It's much cheaper than square bales.

·
14,760 Posts
Yep we've fed them in the past. Just have to find a way to keep them dry and keep the goats off of them.
We've put pallets around them and that has worked, you just have to make sure they can't get their heads stuck in the pallets.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
We use them in our buck lot. We place them in the run-in shed and you can cut a piece of plywood to sit on the top of the round bale (if you sit it up on flat end, not laying on side) to keep them from messing all over it. That works for a good while until the bale gets lower depending on how your goats eat off of it. Last time they ate around the bottom and it just went straight down instead of side ways which worked out very well. Before doing the plywood they would waste half of it by starting to jump up on it after it got lower. If you have very smart goats they may try to push the plywood off, but how I positioned it in my run-in shed it fitted against two walls and didn't move much. We don't feed rounds to the girls thought since they get some alfalfa mixed hay.

Just be sure to either cut all your hay strings off or keep an eye on them. I once had a string that had been some how baled into the round bale (I cut and removed all bale strings when putting out a bale for the sheep). I went down for the evening feeding a found my favorite ewe with a string tightly wrapped around one toe of her hoof. I am not sure how in God's green earth she did it but she had gotten it caught on the shed post and was waiting for me to set her free. So whether you worry about caught hooves or if you have horned goats watch out for strings on and even in the bales.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Does anyone feed round bales to their goats? I'm thinking of getting one but am not sure if it will be the same as feeding square.......I'm thinking if it's horse quality it should be ok right?
No, I hate round bales! If your hay provider knows how to cut, rake, and bale properly there is no difference in a round vs square bale except how it looks. The biggest problem with round bales is that it is much harder to gauge how much your feeding since you unroll it as opposed to just peeling off a flake or two. As far as "horse quality" goes, that has a nasty habit of varying from provider to provider. :laugh: Go and look at it. Look for the same things you would in a square bale. If you do that, you should be fine.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Thanks.......I know that's probably a stupid question but I've just never seen it anywhere. I wouldn't have a way of keeping it out of the elements but it seems more cost effective than squares!
Set it on a pallet or tires and put a tarp over it. I don't know this for a fact, but I'm thinking that if you set it on a pallet(s), you may not have to tarp it because the round shape would shed water better than a square bale.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
You really need some type of roof over it to keep the water off as it can grow bad things very fast. You can even get a basic shelterlogic thingy from TSC for not much (like a little portable shed) had one for the sheep and it lasted about 2.5 years before a storm blew it into a post taking out a side of it (that was when a tornado hit not far from the farm).

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
I plan on feeding them this year.. My plan is to set it outside in the corner of my night pen (since it has got panels as fence. I am going to set the bale on a pallet. Then put a t-post up in the middle of it (it will line up with the corner post behind the bale. Run a calf panel (the ones with small holes at the bottom to babies cant get in) infront of the bale, so they can reach in and eat it but can't damage the bale. I won't drive the t-post in front in the ground all the way, so it is taller then the other posted. I am going to secure a tarp to that post which will mean the water will drain away from the bale. I also plan to tarp the sides of the fence so the bale won't get wet that way, rain/snow will run down and not it the bale :)... If you understood that lol.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the input! :)

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Boy, I wouldn't want your hay bill or the job of cleaning out that pen! :eek: I do have one question, though......how are you planning to move the bale forward once they cannot reach it anymore?

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Boy, I wouldn't want your hay bill or the job of cleaning out that pen! :eek: I do have one question, though......how are you planning to move the bale forward once they cannot reach it anymore?
Is this question for me ?

If so I will spend more then $500 less then if I buy square bales... My pen is outside, I don't have to clean it?

I don't plan to move the bale forward I plan to move the panel back. I will either cut the end off, or bend it out flat against the fence.
Cattle panels are only $16, I have a bunch laying around anyways so I can bend one or cut it and it wont cost me anything.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Is this question for me ?

If so I will spend more then $500 less then if I buy square bales... My pen is outside, I don't have to clean it?

I don't plan to move the bale forward I plan to move the panel back. I will either cut the end off, or bend it out flat against the fence.
Cattle panels are only $16, I have a bunch laying around anyways so I can bend one or cut it and it wont cost me anything.
Yes, the question was for you, and yes, you will have to clean the pen. By feeding in this manner you are going to end up with a whole lot of wasted hay that will just keep piling up. Goats can be very picky about what they eat, and you are playing into that. They will easily waste twice what they eat in the scenario you have outlined. Once you have reached more than a couple of inches of wasted hay it will hold moisture and heat and provide the perfect environment for flies to breed. Studies have proven that not moving round or square bale feeders on a very regular basis results in 25% more flies than if they had been moved. Do not think that the cold will kill them, either because it will not. I strongly recommend that you rethink how you are going to feed your goats.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I use round bales with no problem at all. I would not be able to afford to feed all of mine squares! I can get a round roll of orchard grass or lespedeza for $30. It will last me about a month before they have destroyed it to the point of not wanting to eat it anymore if I were to purchase the same hay in squares, I'm looking at a minimum of $4 a bale and I would go through a little over a bale a day! Sooo, we are talking $120+ a month on squares. Sorry, just can't justify that.

If I was growing my own hay, yes, I would prefer squares but..,having to purchase it, rounds it is for me!

·
Registered
319 Posts
we use them for our horses and we pull some off them for the goats but square or round is good.

·
Banned
988 Posts
I keep mine on pallets with a tarp over it. I keep it on its end so its easier to peel off layers to feed.

They have hay feeders you can put a whole round bale they are off the ground an the goats eat under it. Here is a link I found http://www.lazyjvranch.com/hay_rack.html an I have seen a lot of ppl put these in there barns or you can peel off so much at a time an keep it outside. You can get different sizes an shapes. A lot of ppl build there own also.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I keep mine on pallets with a tarp over it. I keep it on its end so its easier to peel off layers to feed.

They have hay feeders you can put a whole round bale they are off the ground an the goats eat under it. Here is a link I found http://www.lazyjvranch.com/hay_rack.html an I have seen a lot of ppl put these in there barns or you can peel off so much at a time an keep it outside. You can get different sizes an shapes. A lot of ppl build there own also.
That is awesome!!! I want one!:cool:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts