The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure what it is. Seems to be under the skin. Shes due in 3 weeks or so and eats normal. She doesn't like me touching. I hadn't even noticed it until my 3 yr old said the goat had gum. Its about the size of a marble at the end of her lips

Do you know what it is? Have u seen it on ur goats?

·
730 Posts
Could it be a splinter? Insect bite of some sort? I agree that a pic would be very helpful.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was just talking to my husband about this and he mentioned he saw another doe w the same thing. I just checked and sure enough my Nubian also has a small bulge at the corner of her lip. He said that he noticed it about a month ago. It just so happens that each doe is in one of my two only pens.

I was reading up on cl. The bulge looks similar but not as big. How big do they normally get? And how long till they burst? The newest goats I added to my herd. Came in January. A doe and a Billy. I have noticed that the Nubian doe has been coughing more than normal. I thought perhaps lung worms? I gave her ivermectin last week. Otherwise she my healthiest goat.

I have a 3 yr old and now I'm concerned because she plays with them all the time.
Thoughts? Thanks for the advice

·
Member with a bahhh
2,472 Posts
Could you get a picture so we can get a better idea of the placement and size?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think its sore mouth.I had one a while back w it but she was quarantined and never got it again. Ill get pics tomorrow.

This feels pretty firm and coming from under the skin.still fully covered in hair

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
here are the pics of the growth...

found another one of my does with it too. same spot just smaller. all on the same side. right next to the lip.she's housed with the brown Nubian.

the alpine is due in a couple of weeks.
the other two are not pregnant.

this is making me nervous. i really hope it's not CL. i can't risk anything happening to my 3 yr old. if it turns out to be that i'm seriously considering getting rid of all my goats. i hope not :confused:

please help me find the cause....

Attachments

·
city-turned-country girl
1,137 Posts
That's quite odd that all 3 have it in the same place. I hope someone more experienced with CL can identify it for you. :hug: Hoping it's not CL.

·
Member with a bahhh
2,472 Posts
That looks a little too far forward to be CL but its possible. Looks like maybe a salivary infection or something. Have you felt inside their mouth for a sticker or something. It's odd for all of them to have it and all on the same side.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I haven't felt the inside of their mouth. I really don't want to risk my fingers getting bit off.

if I try it, what am I looking for?

I also did some research online on CL and it seems too far forward. if it is a salivary infection, what could it be? and how would I get rid of it?

·
Member with a bahhh
2,472 Posts
Just to see if there is a sore or a lump like the head of a pimple or something that might indicate its a sticker or other foreign body stuck in there. Put the goats neck between your knees or milking stand and use one hand with your two or three finger sideways on the gummy area between both jaws so they can't bite down then use the other hand to feel around. I can't give any advice about salivary cysts as I have never dealt with them personally.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
also keep in mind the goats have no other symptoms (other than coughing now and again from the brown Nubian, but that's been since Jan). no runny nose. appetite are great.

hopefully someone that has experienced CL has some advice. or anyone that has had goats with similar bump locations.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I tried feeling around one of their mouths, but I wore gloves cause I didn't want my fingers taken off... it felt pretty smooth on the inside. could just feel the bulge from the growth.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
any more thoughts, anyone? does anyone have a goat this happened to and perhaps has some insight on what it could be? perhaps someone with CL goats that has been growths in uncommon areas?

thanks

·
Member with a bahhh
2,472 Posts
I've seen plenty of goats with CL abscesses hundreds in fact but none were in that area.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts