Round One goes to: The Goat

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by milk and honey, Feb 23, 2011.

1. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    Well, I've just finished a 30 minute wrestling match with my new momma
    Feta.... Little Tardis is 2 weeks old today, so I separated them last night and went out to milk her today. Result: she managed to stepin the bucket at least 3 times, fall off the stand once, sit down on my arms lots and nearly destroy my homemade stanchion... The match definately went to her today!
    I managed to get about 2 tsp. of dirty milk.
    BUT.... I have a plan... my new steel head stanchion is ordered and on the way... I will continue to put her into the old one till it gets here... but i
    dont think I'll milk her until then. My plan includes plenty of raisins and
    gentling her into a sense of security and peace...(perhaps aromatherapy and soft music??) then I'll set my next phase into motion.... Milking/wrestling match Round 2....
    Stay Tuned..

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Sounds like round one was a work out for sure...hope round 2 will go better.... :hug: :doh: :greengrin:

3. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    We sing the abc song to our goats and the happy birthday song- it is the song that all my human kids know well...

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    milk into something small and then dump into the bigger bucket -- hold the container with one hand and milk with the other, this way she can stomp all she wants but you can move the milk out of the way and you dont loose it after all your hard work. I also give mine a good whack on the rear when they hurt me or are just being a brat. I yell NO also so they learn that nothing good comes of the stomping, laying down and over all unacceptable behavior. I keep milking till I am done and not just because she wants me to stop.

Hope that helps

5. VickiH

VickiH New Member

Sep 24, 2010
    Ohio
    I do what Stacey does with the small container - I use a 1 cup pyrex measuring cup and dump every 1/4 cup into a clean container with a strainer. My girls only get grain/treats on the stand AND only if they behave. As soon as they stomp or kick, I take away the bowl and say 'no kicking'. They learn very quickly. I just started milking last week and they are 90% trained already.

6. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    Thanks all of you! I really didn't want to give up this morning.... but the stand was getting so slick and she was skating/pedaling all over and I really think the stanchion wouldnt hold up much longer...(what alot of excuses..) ha ha I hope my new head holder hurries and gets here!

7. jduwall

jduwall New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Oh thank you so much...I really needed a good laugh.....just picture that puts a smile on my face.... lol :)

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well when it becomes a danger to you and the goat (or the stand being still jsut that a stand and not a milion pieces) I totally agree on waiting ot battle for another day.

I do suggest though trying the milk and dump method i mentioned for your next round. And hopefully this one will then go to you :)

9. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    I agree, dont wait, keep working with her, even if you have to throw the milk out. Do you have any old roofing for your stand? Even a big old bath towel so she doesnt slide all over?
    You WILL win this battle!

10. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

Brings back vivid memories of last year! Don't give up. As people told me, there is a light at the end of the tunnel! :hug: Everyone has good advice.

11. Coyote Night Acres

Coyote Night Acres New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Missouri
    I feel your pain, Okay yours is worse than mine but I know all about the kicking turd buckets. My FF mysti well let me just say she is ........ a typical FF with an added diva attitude. She was way worse when we first started, but she still gets kicky on the stand at some point durring every milking. We made hobbles, held her legs down, wack on the butt, massage the udders till she stopped kicking etc.... I think we will get their eventually but she is our difficult milker. We found the more we fussed with her the more she fussed back, so now we just tell her to nock it off and settle, easy girl etc...