round or square bales? poll

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by AlaskaBoers, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Round Bale

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Square Bale

100.0%
  1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I have 9 does in one pen who are preggo and I'd like them to have free choice hay! On their own they'll go through 1 square a day, and that means i'm storing lots of squares.
    I'd set a round on pallets and contain it with powder mountain panels, alond with putting a roof over it..

do you like squares or rounds?

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Square are much easier for me to handle and I am fortunate enough to have the space to store 200 bales if need be. Also easier for me to flake and put in hay feeders....I have feeders in between bucks/does that hold 6 flakes.

Now, my mom does use the round bales for her mixed herd, she has a cattle panel around the bale to keep them off of the bale but with no browse a 500 lb bale lasts 3 nigies, 3 boers and 3 toggs 3-4 weeks, the panel definately helps cut down on waste.

3. Myakkagoater

Myakkagoater New Member

Apr 10, 2010
    I am curretnly feeding square bales. But I saw somewhere a company is making a round bale feedr that is up off the ground. The goats actually eat from underneath the bale. Soon as I get moved back to Kentucky I will make my own and feed round bales exclusively. From what information I have gotten 20 meat goats can eat on 1 round bale for 1 week. Trick is you got to keep them off the bale. Thats why you have got to feed the bale off the ground and up in the air.

Tom

4. Katemary63

Katemary63 New Member

Nov 30, 2010
    We feed squares. We grow our own hay and cut round and squares but we like feeding squares to the goats because it stays fresher. I don't have a way to feed round bales covered and they get wet, or overly dry, bleached and yucky. The squares go into covered feeders that are also under a run-in and are always fresh. The goats eat more hay this way. Also, we can flake it to put into hay racks in the individual pens. If I had a really great covered hay rack that was off the ground, maybe I'd feed round to save labor.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Squares... can be stacked and moved around more easily...we use the square bales...as the round ones ...are bigger... heavier..... and it is hard to judge getting out a flack of hay.... :wink:

6. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    We use the square bales because they are easier to store and feed. :)

7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    We do square. We tried round, but they wasted soooo much hay with round bales.

8. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    We like the round bales. They last a lot longer, and are much cheaper IMO. When moving 2 of the last 4 bales we bought <they are HUGE & heavy>, we had to take some hay off of them because they flattened and we couldn't roll them, so we filled the back stall up with the loose hay we pulled, used pallets to make a big box, and pallets on the ground to keep it from getting wet & moldy. They go in the backstall put their feet up on the pallets and munch away! And since the stall dividing wall is pallets, I can just reach over from the front stall to fill up the hay rack, so they have plenty of access.

I posted somewhere about my idea of making an outdoor hay feeder using pallets and OSB. I still want to do it too just haven't had a chance to get started as we have to finish up the barn addition first.
    Anyway, I want to use pallets on the ground and on the sides. The side that the weather and wind doesn't come from I want to pull some boards and make it so the goats can get either just their mouths, or their heads <they have horns>. I want to use OSB on the sides the weather blows in on, and OSB for a roof, BUT have the roof overhang to help keep them dry. Most round bales are what, 5x5? So the long pallets would bee the ones to use not the regular sized pallets.

I love pallets....I use them for everything LOL

9. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Square bales are easier to handle and it's easier to judge the quality of the hay...round bales are generally more economical. I have used both and prefer square bales but will buy round bales occassionally if I really trust the farmer. I have had round bales before that were like a surprise party--you never knew what you were going to get in the middle...LOL. That's another good things about squares--I can stick my hand in the middle of the bale to check for moisture and weeds....not so with round bales.

10. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

Small square bales here for the sole fact that I'm scrawny & it makes it a lot easier for me to help with loading/unloading. We use about 1/3 of a bale per day here.

11. newtopygmies

newtopygmies New Member

May 26, 2010
    ashville alabama
    I like the square bales. They are easy to handle and I can get different kinds. I can buy bemuda, then mulch hay, etc. It gives them a little variety even though they seem to like the weedier mulch hay the best.

I can also buy a little at a time. Ijust worry about thoise dry years he have sometimes here in the deep south. Then it is probably cheapre to go with some form of pellet and hope pasture will take care of the rest.

12. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
  13. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I PREFER square bales for ease of use, handling, storage, etc. HOWEVER, we have somewhat of a hay shortage around here, and if I can find good quality round bales, I will take them! I'm thinking maybe you get more for your money as well. We are paying 4.50-5.00 for good quality mixed-all alfalfa hay, whereas for round bales, they go anywhere from 50-70 bucks/bale (obviously not all alfalfa). I'm thinking you find better quality hay in the square formation, as a general rule. But, basically, we get it whenever and wherever we can around here!

14. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    thanks for your opinions!

I guess I'll stick with squares..but I must make better feeders! Right now they're inside the barn and I'd like to have them outside on good days.

15. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    We live in horse country, and buy ours from a major thoroughbred farm. They have about 3 big farms, one of them they don't use, so they have someone to bale and sale/deliver it. The farm used to belong to the leading thoroughbred breeders in the country, and the hay is the same stuff their award winning stallions were eating...so I guess whatever those stallions were eating, is good enough for our goats LOL
    With that said, we have the loose hay in the back stall, and 5 bales of hay lined up, sitting on pallets and covered with tarp.
    So far so good and no surprises.

Now the 5th roll is from a different farm and not good stuff - goats aren't fans. So this one we'll probably break down a bit for bedding after we let them eat what they want out of it.

16. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    this year the hay crop was really poor. we had 33 consecutive days of rain and all the rest were cold and wet.
    so a lot of the hay is crap.
    we only get 2 cuttings here
    but I found some good, cheap squares my goats will eat

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    So you are getting alot of rain as well...that is a bummer... when it comes to storing and dealing with hay....that is for sure.... :hug:

18. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yeah! geee

but this winter has been mild (only down to -14) and dry. There's almost no snow on the ground because the wind blew it all away.. LOL

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    that is strange.... for sure.... :wink:

20. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN
    I just decided last week to have hubby pick-up some rounds of grass hay to try feeding the goats, so far I like it, it's even better than what we had cut and baled over the summer and I thought some of that was really good grass hay. But what ever this is that he bought the goats love it and so do the horses. we have 3 miniature horses.