Round Pen

Discussion in 'Horses' started by Lstein, May 3, 2018.

1. Lstein

Lstein Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    North Dakota
    Anyone have a round pen that they use for working their horses? We are looking for ideas on making on this summer but haven't decided on what materials we should use, etc.

2. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Goats Rock likes this.

3. Lstein

Lstein Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    North Dakota
    Lol, I wouldn't mind it being something like that but this is the fiancees hobby. What's the reasoning for not liking it?

4. PippasCubby

PippasCubby Well-Known Member

May 13, 2015
    E. WA
    Growing up we had one made out of corral panels/tube panels.

5. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Oh, lots of reasons. I guess I've just had to re-train way too many horses whose owners/trainers have used round pens incorrectly and ended up accidentally terrorizing the poor things. That, and they take up a space in the yard without actually providing enough space to ride in. Very few of them are built big enough, so horses stress their legs as they try to canter in too small a circle. Plus, if the trainer doesn't know what they're doing, they stress the horse psychologically because there is nowhere for the horse to "escape", and most round pens are too small. I think a round pen should be at least 60' in diameter, but most are quite a bit smaller. They're very unsafe for starting a young horse under saddle in my opinion. If he bucks you off you're almost certain to hit the rails. If I must get bucked off, I'd much rather do it free and clear in a large area with soft footing. Arenas are nice, but I rarely have use for a round pen.

Make sure to build it with the posts on the outside. I've seen them built with posts on the inside and that's very dangerous.

6. ISmellLikeGoats

ISmellLikeGoats Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2017
    I made one out of the cheap horse panels. I made it 50 ft in diameter (approximately). I'm not colt starting though, actually made it for the horse in my avatar because I didn't know how well broke she was and wanted a smaller area without trees and crap to get run through for her first couple of rides until I could feel her out. I can't build anything permanent here so panels worked great...they also have some flex to them if you're unfortunate enough to hit them with your body, and they're smooth, so there's that. It is definitely not large enough to lope in, but works fine for a smaller area where they can't really get a good running start.

That said, my parents round pen is made out of railroad ties and 2x8's. It's super sturdy, it's been there for 30 years now and still holding up, save a few boards needing replacement over the years.

7. Madgoat

Madgoat Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My lunge ring is over 20 years old, and was totally made out of recycled materials. We were given hundreds of 6" PVC water discharge pipes, and used them as posts, we picked up some huge oak pallets from a business and took them apart (10 feet long) and made a 3 board ring. I painted the white pvc posts with rejected outdoor paint. I've had friends bring their friends over just to see it! I should name our place Recycle Retreat! lol The moral of my story is, as long as the finished product is safe/strong/does the job, use your imagination!

8. Lstein

Lstein Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    North Dakota
    I think what we are leaning towards is having some feedlot panels, and have a 2x6 running across the top; at the moment.

Unless I can convince her about the lunge line ;):rolleyes::p

I don't foresee us ever using this for young colts in the foreseeable future, but it is a possibility some day; so if that time comes we can do something different I suppose.

9. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Get her a 30' lunge line (no chain!), a light, flexible whip with a long lash, and a book on lunging techniques. Have her try it for a month and see if she still needs the round pen. Might save some money. ;)

Most round pens tend to be made of panels. You'll want to set some posts around the outside so it can't scoot or bust loose if a horse nails it.