The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We stopped feeding GMOs and we blindly feed whole oats...since oats are not GMO..But recently stumbled over a video clip from FavCity about oats and why you should only buy organic. Round up is sprayed before harvest to assist in the drying process making oats extremely high in glyphosate. A cancer causing chemical. This means the oats we feed are terrible food source!! Which means their milk that we drink is tainted too. Im so tired of this poison food system. Now to search for cleaner feed we can afford. Organic seed for fodder or?? Here we go again...

Font Number Parallel Rectangle Screenshot

·
Super Moderator
32,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Everyone we know sprays their fields. We may have to go organic feed but have not found one im super happy with and that our goats will eat. Or we can do fodder from organic seed. Another option is weening off feed and do roots and such but kind of afraid to make that big leap even though we keep talking about it. Carrots, beets and turnips I believe most use. Plus garden greens, but Would be difficult to maintain a consistent supply during off season. And honestly my green thumb never bloomed lol

·
Super Moderator
32,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll check race horse oats ;)

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,614 Posts
Or we can do fodder from organic seed. Another option is weening off feed and do roots and such but kind of afraid to make that big leap even though we keep talking about it. Carrots, beets and turnips I believe most use. Plus garden greens, but Would be difficult to maintain a consistent supply during off season.
I've always loved this idea. Have you done much research about it?

·
Super Moderator
32,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For a root diet..Off and on. Some say once goats are on a grain diet they don't do well to switch..but others say as long as they are slowly switched. Many struggle to maintain affordable supplies.

We tried fodder one year but had issue with mold. Humidity is too high I guess. Would need more steady environment made to do that.

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
I am lucky I found an organic farmer through the organic growers accociation. It is a family farm, which makes it even nicer. The old man grows it, the son drives to the daughter’s, where I pick it up. I get screenings, which is much cheaper than the people grain. The animals love it. Oats, BOSS, wheat and flax screenings.
Maybe check out tour state’s list of organic growers. I had to do some emailing around, before I found this one.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,614 Posts
For a root diet..Off and on. Some say once goats are on a grain diet they don't do well to switch..but others say as long as they are slowly switched. Many struggle to maintain affordable supplies.

We tried fodder one year but had issue with mold. Humidity is too high I guess. Would need more steady environment made to do that.
Do you know of anywhere I could find good information on root diets?

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
That's such a shame about the oats! I am curious about the roots diet thing, too. I have been trying to think of ways to save on goat feed, while also offering a hopefully more nutrient-dense diet. My goats already get a lot of forage in spring through fall, but I want to do more in the winter time. I was thinking of growing a lot of root vegetables and storing them in the root cellar. Maybe even drying and storing the tops from turnips, beets, etc. My goats already get sweet potato vines, sweet potatoes, green beans occasionally, pumpkin... So they are pretty used to a varied diet. What all kinds of fodder have you done? I want to try that, but haven't dived into it yet. Have you looked into making tree hay at all? That's something I want to research more, as well.

·
Super Moderator
32,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll look up the links to root diet tomorrow and post what I found.

If its not organic..we have to assume it's been sprayed. But maybe race horse feeds have some kind of certification?

·
Super Moderator
32,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
791 Posts
Does this apply to all oats? Even if they're not sold by a big feed company like Purina? I'm also curious about the race horse oats. I imagine they wouldn't want anything in there to show up in drug tests later on.
Well it doesn't mean that it's not organic. One needs to fully understand that there is a fee to be paid to be certified organic. We looked into this with our beef years ago since our cattle are organic. What they wanted us for to pay was so stupid we realized that we would be money ahead not to join the program. Then again my parents neighbors are certified organic and they are constantly out in the other neighbors hay field and he sprays like a mad man soooo........
But on the topic of oats if the fields that the oats have been grown on has choked out all the grass and weeds then there would be no need for one to spray round up, they may just not be able to afford or want to go into the the organic deal. But happybleats is correct you will have more of a chance actually having organic if labeled as organic

·
Registered
449 Posts
It’s not about killing weeds. Roundup is commonly sprayed on most grain crops at the point of harvest because it needs to be dry/dead to thresh. This speeds up the harvest date and makes it time able for farmers to complete before weather. Wheat is also sprayed routinely before harvest.

I found a local farm that traded me 3 one ton totes of triticale seed for a finished hog.

There are always other options. Sometimes it’s about looking in unusual places for doors to open!

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
Short of growing your own it’s hard to find anything that doesn’t have chemicals..even growing your own you get wind drift from neighboring farms . I hate roundup, it’s even turning up in kids breakfast cereals nowadays. ...I could rant for hours but I agree about looking in odd places to find safe foods sometimes you can get lucky.

·
Super Moderator
32,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's not about killing weeds. Roundup is commonly sprayed on most grain crops at the point of harvest because it needs to be dry/dead to thresh. This speeds up the harvest date and makes it time able for farmers to complete before weather. Wheat is also sprayed routinely before harvest.
Yup ^^

I hate roundup, it's even turning up in kids breakfast cereals
and just to make our stomach even more sick..my fav oatmeal..Quaker oats has the highest level of glyphosate. I have a Costco size box I won't even be able to give away. :mad:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Well it doesn't mean that it's not organic. One needs to fully understand that there is a fee to be paid to be certified organic. We looked into this with our beef years ago since our cattle are organic. What they wanted us for to pay was so stupid we realized that we would be money ahead not to join the program. Then again my parents neighbors are certified organic and they are constantly out in the other neighbors hay field and he sprays like a mad man soooo........
But on the topic of oats if the fields that the oats have been grown on has choked out all the grass and weeds then there would be no need for one to spray round up, they may just not be able to afford or want to go into the the organic deal. But happybleats is correct you will have more of a chance actually having organic if labeled as organic
Yes! I would rather buy produce from a local farm stand that's not officially organic than buy Walmart "certified organic" I guess there is just no escaping it, short of growing your own oats without any neighbors who grow crops. Race Horse Oats are expensive enough, can't imagine how much organic would cost. There are some local companies that sell cleaned oats though. I'm sure those would be better than regular oats. At least I would hope so.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.