The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is can you band a goat 4 months old .I didnt get mine done yet and hope its not to late . I am getting mixed answer here in ny so can somebody please set me streight.Art

·
Registered
66 Posts
I band my goats with the same bander I use on my calves, the result is the same. Some of the calves nuts are almost as big as a base ball. I have to get behind them in a chute, with the help of gravity, and get one testicle at a time in the band. It is nice to have a helper to hold the tail and watch the poop chute as well. Last year my brother was on an antelope hunt on a big cattle ranch in West Texas. The cow boys were going to sell a bull, they didn't want to give away their genetics so they had a really large bander they put on the bull. So that being said, 4 months is fine to band. My vet recommends giving tetnus vaccines at that time as well,if you haven't done so already.
Adios, Denny

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
There is research that early castration before puberty can contribute to urinary calculi. If you can catch them before they are too big to band but older, that's much better than doing it early and risking UC.

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
I'm fond of burdizzoing also. It's quick and relatively painless. Just get some training if you havent' done it before.. They have hit puberty when they pee on themselves, jump each other and stink. You want to castrate them the week before all this starts. If anyone can figure out how to do that, let me know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts