The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is ruckus. He just turned one the end of April. He was 236# when we bought him. He was a show goat so they had him on high intake of food & hay. My question is with him being so pleasantly plump can that cause him to have issues breeding our does. We have him in the doe pen with approx 15 does I was just curious.
IMG_7398.jpg
IMG_7398.jpg

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
He will burn it off when breeding, unless he is way over weight and lazy, he may not want to breed.
It is best to have them in breeding condition, fit and not too fat or thin.
They do loose weight during rut if they do not eat properly.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He will burn it off when breeding, unless he is way over weight and lazy, he may not want to breed.
It is best to have them in breeding condition, fit and not too fat or thin.
They do loose weight during rut if they do not eat properly.
I have definitely seen him chasing some of the does so maybe he isn't too fat I am going to cut back his feed so he has to burn some of his reserves. Thank you for the input he is our base herd sire to start show stock so I'm hoping he isn't a lawn ornament

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do want to caution you against breeding him to a small girl who cannot bear his weight while breeding, this can cause problems if he is too heavy for them.
All of our does are of decent size we kept him off of our yearlings & younger does we knew going into it that he wouldn't be suitable for all of our does. Thank you for the concern tho.

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
You do not have to cut back on his feed at breeding time, especially if he is at a good weight. As he will lose some when doing so, and may forget to eat.
Keep an eye on him. ;)

I agree with not breeding him to small does, it may cause birthing issue with size comparison.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts