The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Goat Crazy!
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, Lola has been "off" since we got back Monday night from a 4 day fair.

Appetite has been iffy; worse in the mornings, so-so in the evenings. Temp this morn is 99.9 F. Milk production is down to almost nothing.

She's had a rumen bolus (yeast) Tues, Wed, Thurs and today.

We put a sweat shirt on her. I'll pick up dark beer in a bit. How much beer do I give her? Should I give her a shot of B complex too? What else?

·
Registered
31,010 Posts
I would also give cd antitoxin shot as preventive. remove grain until she is 100%

·
Goat Crazy!
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Ladies. I felt like a dolt in the grocery store. I just stood there gawking in the beer aisle. I don't drink, so all the beers look alike to me! Fortunately, someone helped me find the right thing and hooooo-boy, is this beer DARK!

She's nibbling hay and laying in the sun. I'm gonna give her a shot of B complex and some branches to eat while we're waiting for the beer to go flat.

·
Registered
31,010 Posts
Beer doesn't have to be flat..just room temp : )

I sent my son to buy kosher black berry wine for a severely anemic goat LOL. My daughger bought my Vodka to make vanilla (embarrassed)
Nice having kids and friends old enough to buy my alcohol needs LOL :heehee:

·
Goat Crazy!
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Her temp went to normal in the afternoon and she eagerly ate some maple leaves.

gave her 3 ounces of beer at 5 pm. Came out at 7 and she's miserable. Breathing hard. Very bloated. Won't touch Tums or baking soda. Temp down to 100.3 I'm massaging her left side; It's big, but not overly hard.

Gonna drench her with baking soda....

·
Goat Crazy!
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes probios. no to antitoxin. just did the baking soda, followed by some olive oil. she slobbered and retched quite a bit.

·
Goat Crazy!
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got her front legs up. been massaging her for 20 minutes.

She's SO miserable!!!

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,450 Posts
You don’t have the antitoxin?

Because when retching starts to happen that’s usually the clostridial bacteria. Listen, if you don’t have the antitoxin and can’t get it, I may be able to work it through with you herbally — Kat Drovdahl from Fir Meadow does treat and prevent it naturally.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,450 Posts
If you have any high quality peppermint essential oil mix 2-3 drops in with the olive oil.

Give Tummy Trouble Paste, 1 clove of garlic with a teaspoon each of cinnamon, cayenne, ginger, slippery elm if you have it, and in this case I would liquify with apple cider vinegar and olive oil. Add the peppermint EO to this if you have it.

Dandelion, nettle, red clover chaparral, or burdock root may be in your tea cabinet... those are good as well.

Keep animal hydrated. Pure grapefruit juice tends to be good energy and hydration.

·
Goat Crazy!
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I may have some Throat Coat tea - that's slippery elm. I do have peppermint. I have fresh leaves and eos.

Mix those with some more oil????? Wait...just read your post more thoroughly. Going to mix some up now. My daughters and I are looking at a long night right now. Poor Lola!!

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,450 Posts
OK...I ended up having all those herbs/spices. She's a Nigerian. Do I give it all to her in a little ACV and olive oil?
Brew the throat coat tea, with the herbs that are not included in the Tummy Trouble Paste, steep, and drench that separately.

Then give the Tummy Trouble Paste and peppermint EO as a separate thing.

She may choose to drink the tea, if she feels she needs it. You could try that first.

·
Goat Crazy!
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
She got most of it down. But, for the record, she now hates @NigerianDwarfOwner707 . She was even wiping her mouth on the wood block she was standing on to get rid of the taste! However, I will LOVE @NigerianDwarfOwner707 if her concoction helps Lola's tummy!

I just checked my records and she had a cdt shot in Feb.

Now she's resting beside me in a kennel and is wheezing terribly from all the pressure on her lungs. I'm letting her take a break and then we'll take her out for more walking and massaging.

I really don't think I should drench her with anything else for a little while. She needs a break and some time to let things work. She pooped 3 times since we brought her in and did one nice big pee. So she's not dehydrated right now.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,450 Posts
Do you know how to do the emergency bloat release procedure? If you aren’t confident in the incision or being able to keep it clean I would call a vet.

It’s simply an incision below the ribs to release the gas.

This must be done once breathing difficulty occurs.

·
Goat Crazy!
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am NOT confident in doing the procedure. She is actually sleeping beside me right now. She was breathing fine until we had the struggle over giving the tummy paste. I'm almost wondering if she aspirated a tiny bit of it. It sounds like she could give a wee bit of a cough and be fine.

I'm going to stay right here beside her. Getting her up in about 10 minutes for walking/massaging.

C'MON Lola!

If she isn't improved by 9:30 I'll call the on-call vet and see if they can think of something I missed.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts