The Goat Spot Forum banner
41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Goat Crazy!
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I couldn't get Lola to take the med. Ended up taking her in to the vet.

The vet vented her rumen (Lola's, not the vet's) really thoroughly and put Therabloat directly in her rumen. Now we're on "watch and see" duty.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,500 Posts
1 tip for bloated Nigerians: Massage their sides a bit and then put your arms around their belly and lift them off the ground. I got the BEST belch out of her that way!
Wow. Fun.

Makes sense now - whenever I trim hooves I always lift around the belly to hoist them up on a lap and they always burp.

Nigies with those big bellies though I swear sometimes it looks like they are smuggling basketballs in there.

·
Goat Crazy!
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Wow. Fun.

Makes sense now - whenever I trim hooves I always lift around the belly to hoist them up on a lap and they always burp.

Nigies with those big bellies though I swear sometimes it looks like they are smuggling basketballs in there.
Yea, people are always asking when they are due! Of course, Lola has been so bloated the last day and a half that she looks like she swallowed BEACH balls! Poor baby!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I don't recommend mineral oil because it is flavorless and she can aspirate it.

Olive oil does the same as mineral oil.

If using mineral oil, add an EO to it like peppermint to give it flavor. This is not OPTIONAL!!!

Was the vet curious at all about giving the cd antitoxin?
Why must it have a flavor???

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Went to TSC as soon as they opened to get larger gauge needles.

Did my first rumen puncture ever. It was WAY easier than my mind had built it up to be. Vented off quite a bit of gas!

I followed up right after with probios and dark beer. She clearly feels a bit better and even drank some water. I think we're on the road to recovery.

It's cold and rainy and she's still not out of the woods, so I have her in a kennel in the garage with a coat on. I'll be doctoring her with probios quite frequently. Maybe more beer later.
Merle, Conway, both Hanks and George Jones go well with the beer. Don't forget Tammy, Loretta and Patsy.

·
Goat Crazy!
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Merle, Conway, both Hanks and George Jones go well with the beer. Don't forget Tammy, Loretta and Patsy.
My 19 year-old thought she needed soothing music, so she put on some Fernando Ortega. I almost fell asleep while massaging her (Lola, not my daughter)........Zzzzzzz

·
Goat Crazy!
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Well, Lola has been up and down today. I stayed home from church to play nursemaid. At one point I couldn't find her and she was huddled up in the corner of the garage, shivering.

While that sounds really sad, it's actually an improvement because she's MOVING today. Yesterday she was hurting too bad to move.

However, after a little bit of moving around outside and complaining because I closed her out of the garage so I could clean the cage she's been hanging out in, she started feeling bad again. She shuffled into the cage as soon as I had it back in place.

I'm still giving Probios every couple of hours. Last night she was a bit dehydrated, so I've been drenching her with some water and/or Gatorade every so often. Thankfully, she peed a while ago and it almost looked normal.

She was shivering alot. Thankfully, it finally dawned on me that it might help her system function better if I warmed her up. Duh! I gave her a dose of slightly warmed (and flavored) mineral oil followed by some warm water. Then I got a heat lamp on her for about 45 minutes. When I went down to check on her, she seemed sooooo happy. :-D I decided to turn the lamp off and try moving her outside. I carried the cage out, but she made a beeline for the gate to the pen.

I let her in and she immediately started nibbling hay. Moments later she was fighting a herdmate. HUZZAH!

I'll still be watching her very closely and dosing her with Probios. But I think we're on the upswing now!

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,500 Posts
Well, Lola has been up and down today. I stayed home from church to play nursemaid. At one point I couldn't find her and she was huddled up in the corner of the garage, shivering.

While that sounds really sad, it's actually an improvement because she's MOVING today. Yesterday she was hurting too bad to move.

However, after a little bit of moving around outside and complaining because I closed her out of the garage so I could clean the cage she's been hanging out in, she started feeling bad again. She shuffled into the cage as soon as I had it back in place.

I'm still giving Probios every couple of hours. Last night she was a bit dehydrated, so I've been drenching her with some water and/or Gatorade every so often. Thankfully, she peed a while ago and it almost looked normal.

She was shivering alot. Thankfully, it finally dawned on me that it might help her system function better if I warmed her up. Duh! I gave her a dose of slightly warmed (and flavored) mineral oil followed by some warm water. Then I got a heat lamp on her for about 45 minutes. When I went down to check on her, she seemed sooooo happy. :-D I decided to turn the lamp off and try moving her outside. I carried the cage out, but she made a beeline for the gate to the pen.

I let her in and she immediately started nibbling hay. Moments later she was fighting a herdmate. HUZZAH!

I'll still be watching her very closely and dosing her with Probios. But I think we're on the upswing now!
Yay!!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I can relate. Here's a photo featuring Eddie and my foot when we moved him and the second day he got diarrhea from both lush grass and stress... poor guy. But I stayed with him all day until he reached berries again.

View attachment 162489
:inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove:Do you have to make me want Nigerians?:inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove:

41 - 60 of 98 Posts