The Goat Spot Forum banner
61 - 80 of 98 Posts

·
Goat Crazy!
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
MY adorable Nigi is still sick. But I've had her out and walking around the yard several times, albeit somewhat reluctantly. I coax and she follows of her own free will. She's nibbled a wee bit here or there, but I still haven't seen her chew cud and she's still WAY bloated. She gets massages and probiotics every couple of hours.

*sigh*

Gave her the last dose of banamine at 3pm (The vet had me give it once a day).

She's been drooling alot, which is weird. And I just noticed she has 1 broken tooth in the front. My daughter said she noticed that way before the bloating happened - apparently she's more observant than I am! Not sure if there's any relation between the tooth and the bloat? She wasn't showing any signs of pain or drooling before the bloat got bad.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,500 Posts
MY adorable Nigi is still sick. But I've had her out and walking around the yard several times, albeit somewhat reluctantly. I coax and she follows of her own free will. She's nibbled a wee bit here or there, but I still haven't seen her chew cud and she's still WAY bloated. She gets massages and probiotics every couple of hours.

*sigh*

Gave her the last dose of banamine at 3pm (The vet had me give it once a day).

She's been drooling alot, which is weird. And I just noticed she has 1 broken tooth in the front. My daughter said she noticed that way before the bloating happened - apparently she's more observant than I am! Not sure if there's any relation between the tooth and the bloat? She wasn't showing any signs of pain or drooling before the bloat got bad.
Gosh I'm sorry.

I still recommend some activated charcoal and cd antitoxin.

She could have been grinding her teeth and broken the tooth?

This is more than bloat, it sounds like the bacteria in her gut is still overrunning her system because if it were gas bloat the release would have helped.

Please ask your vet about the antitoxin.

·
Goat Crazy!
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Gosh I'm sorry.

I still recommend some activated charcoal and cd antitoxin.

She could have been grinding her teeth and broken the tooth?

This is more than bloat, it sounds like the bacteria in her gut is still overrunning her system because if it were gas bloat the release would have helped.

Please ask your vet about the antitoxin.
Re: the antitoxin: Will do.

She broke the tooth before she got sick - and she was in perfect health until we got back from the fair. So I don't think it was from grinding.

·
8,393 Posts
:up: The antitoxin won't hurt and may help. (But, your vet knows best.). Sending good thoughts your way. I hope she gets better quickly.

Ask if you can continue the Banamine. At this point, the benefits (pain control and gut soothing) far outweigh any possible side effects, in my opinion.

·
Goat Crazy!
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Polio now. Vet gave us thiamin and instructions. Also gave us some antibiotic for her.

·
Goat Crazy!
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
She's laying right out on her side now, eyes glazed. Gave her banamine.

This really sucks!

·
Goat Crazy!
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Oh no. I'm so sorry. I hope she pulls through for you.
@mariarose @SalteyLove @NigerianDwarfOwner707 @Goats Rock @happybleats

Lola is a 45 lb. Nigerian. The vet is having me give .5 cc of 500 mg/ml thiamine twice a day for 3 days.

I keep reading on here that thiamine should be every 6 hours.

So far today she's had a quart of electrolytes (orally), 3 cc b complex earlier this a.m., and .5 cc thiamin, a shot of Exceed antibiotic (she's to have another shot on Friday), and .5 cc banamine.

We walked her around for an hour and a half this morning, but she wasn't too steady on her feet. Now she's having trouble standing.

Thoughts???

·
Registered
31,515 Posts
Really need 500mg thiamine every 6 hours, 1 cc per 10# Penicillin every 6 hours and 1 cc per 20# IM Dexamethsone ( prefered) or Banamine 1 cc per 100# once a day

If your vet wont give more thiamine, B complex in an amount that gives 500MG thiamine. Most B complex is 100mg, so she will need 5 cc

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I agree with everyone. Every 6 hours, for both, if you can.

Do you have any rumen caps like @ksalvagno recommends?

Reactions: Iluvlilly!
61 - 80 of 98 Posts